Getting FuManchu Lion to eat frozen

salty gal

Any ideas?
My LFS laid out this elaborate plan to get him to switch, however I do not think it is going to work. I'm not willing to starve him to death!
This guy is so picky. My LFS was running low on ghost shrimp, so he put in a few tiny feeder fish (which I did not know about until I got home and was not happy about because I know they are not good for him to eat). One got caught in my net and got put in at feeding time. The little feeder fish nearly swam in his mouth but he still would not eat it.
I have an anemone in there with him and fed him frozen krill, if a piece gets close to FU, he will move his fins so it will not touch him!
I think I've read that you can get self reproducing ghost shrimp. Is that true?
Thanks so much!

sepulatian

Does he eat the ghost shrimp for you? Fu's are very picky. If he was eating ghost shrimp then that is good. Did you watch him eat the shrimp? You can buy a few dozen and put them into a bucket. Gut load the shrimp. Feed them tiny pinches of whatever you would want your lion to eat. Don't forget the vitamins. They are picky lions. If you can get him to eat then a very big Congratulations are in order.

R

rcreations

FuManChus are the toughest lions to keep in captivity because they just don't make the switch to frozen foods very well. Like Sep said... if you can get him to eat, a big congratulations is in order.
Other than that, try krill. That's what most people used to get their lions to eat.

salty gal

Oh yes!!! He eats the ghosties!! Before we set up a tank for them, we would float them when we got home and he would peck at the bag trying to get them.
I would like to move him over to Krill, but he just watches it float by.
From what you all said, even getting him to eat the ghost shrimp is good. He will only eat the live ones. I tried putting in a dead one, but same as krill, just watches it.
I've been putting Saltwater Fish Flake food in the shrimp tank. What do you all mean by "gut load" and vitamins? What kind of vitamins?
I just hate having to run to the LFS every week getting more ghost shrimp. I've seen him gobble up to 8 one after the other. Now that we have a tank for them, I've been giving him 4 each night. Wonder if that is enough?
And another thing ... he makes (sheds??) this slime stuff. Haven't found anything about that yet. I thought it might have been from shock of transport, but he's still doing it after about 4 weeks. Any ideas?
Thanks so much!

R

rcreations

Shedding is normal as long as it doesn't do it very often. My fuzzy dwarf does it once or twice a month.
Also, I think 4 ghost shrimp every day is too much. You want to make the fish a little hungry so it'll try the other food you give it. If the fish is always full, why try stuff it doesn't like? Normally, lions should be fed every other day. So personally I'd feed it once every three days the ghost shrimp, then try krill the other days.

hammerhed7

get a piece of rigid air line tubing, and cut one end to a point, the go to the grocer store and buy some fresh raw squid, you can get it in frozen packages already cut (calamari). Then soak a piece of the squid in a cup with tank water, garlic and selcon. Take a long thin piece of the squid and put it on the air line tubing, and wiggle it around in the tank. The lion should show interest in it, as he moves closer slowly move the food away this should trigger his hunting instincts.
Good luck!

salty gal

Well, Fu wasn't happy with the garlic Krill tonight.
He came out excited and ready when I opened the lid. He looked at it, watched it fall to the bottom and then looked at me seeming to say "What are you trying to do to me?"
And after 3 days ... he is still ignoring the baby Domino Gromis. At this point, I would be more worried about him being in the reef tank than in the agressive tank! LOL
Then I had a bright idea ... I gave him a live Ghost Shrimp, (gobbled it before it hit bottom), then fished out the dead one and plopped it in there. He just watched it.
Now I have to do a water change tomorrow because of all the extras. ~sigh~
I guess I'll be a meanie and not feed him for a couple of days and try the tubing idea that Hammerhed7 suggested.

insane96

Originally Posted by Salty Gal
http:///forum/post/2820155
Any ideas?
My LFS laid out this elaborate plan to get him to switch, however I do not think it is going to work. I'm not willing to starve him to death!
This guy is so picky. My LFS was running low on ghost shrimp, so he put in a few tiny feeder fish (which I did not know about until I got home and was not happy about because I know they are not good for him to eat). One got caught in my net and got put in at feeding time. The little feeder fish nearly swam in his mouth but he still would not eat it.
I have an anemone in there with him and fed him frozen krill, if a piece gets close to FU, he will move his fins so it will not touch him!
I think I've read that you can get self reproducing ghost shrimp. Is that true?
Thanks so much!
I feed my lion fish silver side frozen minnows. and Krill good luck

insane96

yes I have some ghost shrimp that self reproduce. But I would suggest to get a feeding stick to initiate feeding.

salty gal

OK ... I've tried nearly all of these ideas. ~sigh~
I went to get another shipment of ghost shrimp today and spoke with the owner of the LFS who sold it to me and was sure that he would switch.
he's going to give me 1/2 credit for him. I'm taking him back Monday.
Have to find a new Avatar :( He is sooooooooo cool looking.

sepulatian

Fu's are not easy lions to keep. They are definitely not for beginners. Taking him back is the best thing to do.

R

rcreations

You need to have patience with lions. It took me well over a month to get my Fuzzy Dwarf to switch over to dead food. But now she eats everything I put in the tank. Such a great fish, well worth the initial effort.

reefnutpa

Salty Gal - did you try the feeding stick? You can't just drop dead krill/fish/etc in the tank when trying to convert to frozen foods no matter how close it drops to the lion. You will find the best success using a feeding stick as recommended above.
Tom

salty gal

Well.... he's back at the LFS. Ready for someother unsuspecting person.
He was so nice, even swam into the net for me.
Oh well..... will deffiantly do research before buying anything again.
Lesson learned!

unleashed

Originally Posted by Salty Gal
http:///forum/post/2842563
Well.... he's back at the LFS. Ready for someother unsuspecting person.
He was so nice, even swam into the net for me.
Oh well..... will deffiantly do research before buying anything again.
Lesson learned!
well im very sorry to hear he didnt work out for you. i hope that LFS will get him feeding frozen prepared foods before attempting to sell again.. I have had no experience myself with dwarf lions. all mine has been with volitans and they tend to be a tad picky at first too but i have always managed to persuade them into switching to dead without major issues.. as for research thats always a plus.. as for next purchase I have always found that the longer the store has the fish the better.. if the fish has been just added to the store chances are much greater for fatality.I refuse to purchase any stock that has been in the store less than 2 weeks.. then i must see that fish eat prepared foods ( not brine). I have even gone as far as to put a hold on a fish(pay for it upfront or deposit) and have them hold it for me and chose what they are fed before acquiring them .. if your a regular customer of a LFS chances of them doing this for you is very good if they value your business.. yes I was always a pain for them but they loved my paychecks lol