getting mushrooms to attach

royce

I bought some single mushrooms to save $$ and they never attached where I wanted before floating off somewhere else. I rounded them up, put them in a specimen jar with some rubble and placed it all in a knee-high stocking. Do I need to directly squirt some food into the jar so that they don't starve, or will they be ok for the week or so that it may take for them to attach? I was under the impression that you shouldn't superglue the mushrooms - am I wrong? Is there a better way? Thanks

rickt4du

Mushrooms get too slimy to glue sometimes. They should be ok as long as they get light. Its actually a really good idea and I will try it next time. Have a great day.

royce

I can't take credit for the idea - I got it from the board. I think I'll move them up closer to the top of the tank to increase the light. Thanks for the help. :cool:

jacksonpt

Originally posted by Royce:
<strong>...placed it all in a knee-high stocking.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Is this a recommended way to keep shrooms in one place? I'm going to be fragging my shrooms next weekend, and I was really hoping to find an option other than superglue.

royce

I saw it suggested in a couple of other posts. I don't know if it works yet - just did it yesterday, but it is keeping them from getting blown all over the tank. I never did find my hairy mushroom and was glad to be able to grab these 2 which are kinda small.

mal

I just fragged some. I used a smaller clear, disposable tupperware container. I drilled holes in it all around, a ton of them, and then used zip ties to hang it from a support bracket inside the tank just barely under the surface. It is close to the light and a ph ripples the surface water for gas exchange. I put some rubble and a few small rocks in it so the shrooms will attatch to something. Then later I can glue it where I want to. It does shade some corals under it, but it's only there for a couple weeks, and I can slide it around to different positions on the support bracket. I can re-use it later, or make another. Tupperware is cheap.
This morning I found one of my firefish in it checking things out I guess.