getting my sump/fuge drilled is becoming a PITA

zanemoseley

ok so I figured today while shopping for Xmas presents I'd check out a glass shop or two to see how much its gonna cost to get my sump and fuge drilled for bulkheads, one shop didn't have the right sized bits for a 1" bulkhead, the other shop didn't know if they could drill a tank right they said they had a 22" tripod drill and would cost $22 a hole and wouldn't be responsible if it broke, now I knew it wouldn't be cheap but $22 a hole seems like highway robbery, plus I don't know how the hell I could get the side of my 20 drilled since its 24" long and the tripod is 22"
anyone have any ideas of how I can get holes drilled without a big PITA

fender

If you are adventurous I have read in another forum where people have had success with a dremel tool. I have even seen where a guy cut an overflow into the back of a 20 gallon tank and siliconed on a box to the back.
I am debating about doing this to my 65 instead of buying an overflow.

737mech

If you are adventurous I have read in another forum where people have had success with a dremel tool.
Do you know what kind of attachment that they used with the dremel?
Could you give me a bit more info?
Thanks

fender

dremmel bits #7134 and #7103
Make sure you go slowly and keep it cool with water to prevent chipping.
I haven't done this yet myself tho.

S

starfishjackedme

Do some searches on google about how to drill glass. There is a ton of info and good sites with pics of drilling tanks. Sorry, i can't post any links. You just need a drill press and the right glass drill bit. I am going to drill my 200 because i can't afford to have my cpr overflow fail again. I will have to drill it myself because no glass shop will touch it bc of liability reasons. I guess it's not even worth it for them to mess with aquariums since it could explode (yeah right) or crack and they would have to figh being held liable. Oh well, you need something done right, do it yourself LOL :D

koolaid

I just drilled my 10 gal fuge with a $35 diamond hole saw. I used a drill press and had it drilled in less than 2 minutes. It was very easy and would do it again.

zippy

Starfish, they are correct. Or may be, I should say. Make sure your glass is NOT tempered glass or it will explode. The same thing will happen to the tank as when a car windshield breaks, it will shatter into tons of pieces.

koolaid

Yes, I forgot to metion that I drilled the side of the tank. If you are unsure If it is tempered I would drill the side and not the bottom.

zanemoseley

I think I'm gonna just use the 20 sump only and keep out the fuge for a while, I'm gonna take the $50 it would take for them to get drilled and save up for a all in one custom built sump/fuge combo, I priced the sump/fuge acrylic for $190 but will look very clean looking, the downside is no fuge though for a couple months but I'm only gonna be starting out with 1 perc. clown in a 75 to start so the bio load is gonna be at a minimum