Getting new lights soon-need advice

jburgi

My lights are scheduled to be here tomorrow!!! I am so excited!!!!!
Question; So a friend of mine told me that all of my current coral (which is 5 different mushrooms) might shrivel when I get my new lights, and that I should lower the lights for a few weeks to get them use to it. So first of all....is this true? and if it is...what is the best way to go about it. I don't have much, but I would hate to make them unhappy in the process of making them happy!

deejeff442

i raise my lights for a couple weeks instead of cutting on the time.put the lights a foot above the tank for a couple weeks then 6 inches for a week then the 3-4 it will stay at.yea new lights can cause alot of coral trouble if they are not used to the intensity

jburgi

I don't really have a way to raise the lights.....should I just not plug all of the lights in?
Also, right now there is a glass lid on the top. Should I just keep it as is, or should I take it off?
Thanks guys! I just got them, I am really excited to check them out. The tank is in my daughters room,so I have to wait for her to wake up....

jburgi

I am not sure what I want to do.....I really really want a candy cane coral....and a leather of some sort...other than that I am not entirely sure!

E

e-roc

Hows th flow in the tank it would look real nice to run different
Color zoos on it kinda in a spiral going to the topwhat fish are
In there

pepito113

What was the temperture of the tank before the lights? And now after? I see a window by the tank some heat from the window and the light could bring it up... But the tank is looking good...

deejeff442

i have had metal halides for 28 years and never had a temp problem.just dont put a 400 watt over a 20 gallon and no problem.if you put mh's over a tank just dont over do it and heat wont be an issue.you dont need 1200 watts of mh on a 150 tank if you do the research on them and get the right system there will be no problem