Getting new tank, equipment ?

fishkid2

Ok, so I'm going to be getting a 110 pretty soon. I just have a question on the equipment I just ordered.
I'm I missing anything from this list?
protein skimmer (I just got the airstone driven one b/c I like them and to me they are very efficient)
wood airsones
air pump for skimmer
60 lbs of sand (also have another 30 at my house)
2 Hydor Koralia 1's
160 gallons of salt
Will be ordering lr from here in a week too.
I also have t-5 lighting to go on this tank

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by fishkid2
http:///forum/post/2592724
Ok, so I'm going to be getting a 110 pretty soon. I just have a question on the equipment I just ordered.
I'm I missing anything from this list?
protein skimmer (I just got the airstone driven one b/c I like them and to me they are very efficient)
wood airsones
air pump for skimmer
60 lbs of sand (also have another 30 at my house)
2 Hydor Koralia 1's
160 gallons of salt
Will be ordering lr from here in a week too.
I also have t-5 lighting to go on this tank
A few things that you should fix. 2 Koralia 1s wont be that much flow for a 110. You should get a least 2-3 koralia 2s. Also, you should look into getting a canister filter. They have great mechanical filtration. Ehiem and Fluval are good brands. Also, airstones are not good for a saltwater tank. they cause stress to your fish and can get lodged in there gills, so I would advise against it. What kind of tank will it be? You should get a some live rock too. It is probably the best filter out there! For your tank you will need about 100-150 lbs of LR. What kind of t-5 are you looking at? Make sure it has individual reflectors otherwise it will be a waste of money.

srgvigil

If you want to get a canister filter be sure you are ready to do alot of cleaning because they can become nitrate factories.

fishkid2

I should of asked this question before I ordered. Stupid me!
I forgot to mention I am upgrading from another tank.
This is a reef tank. I already have the marineland t-5's which don't have the individual reflectors. I will also add my other pc light just to have it bighter since this tank is taller then my other one.
yeh I already have a canister filter and they are a pain.
The wood airstones are for the skimmer not for extra air.
Damn 2-3 koralia 3's that a lot of current. Did not think I would need that much current. I'll add a aquaclear 70 to it that I already have. I will plan on adding another ph once I start this thing.
I know you need at least 1 lb per gallon of lr, but I want more swimming space. I am going to order 50 from here. Then once the tanks cycle is done I start adding some fish and have the lr thats in that tank which is around 30 lbs. If there is still a lot of room after that I will go to my lfs.

fishkid2

Yes it is a wet/dry. The tank is not drilled. I got one pump for it to pump the water back into the tank, but I do you get it down there if the tank is not drilled?

fishkid2

Am I supposed to have 2 pumps? Stupid question I know, but this is the first time I even have a wet/dry filter.

fishfreak1242

http:///forum/post/2593919
Am I supposed to have 2 pumps? Stupid question I know, but this is the first time I even have a wet/dry filter.

From what you pictured, that is all that you need. If there is a poweroutage, 2 pumps will not protect you from overflowing your tank. But using an overflow like you showed will.

fishkid2

So I just get the overflow to gravity feed the filter then the pump put it back into the tank
The filter also comes with a giant wood airstone driven protein skimmer. i tryed it out on my other tank and it worked beautifully.

fishkid2

Its kind of weird this tank is over 8 years old and the guy never used the tank. He did use the filter on a different tank, but did not start this one.
Has anyone seen this granite color on a tank before?
He also bought a lot of chemi-pure back then and it was $10. Its only $5 now. Is'nt that weird?

fishfreak1242

http:///forum/post/2596367
Now how do you start the gravity feed to get the water done to the filter?
You have to stick a small airline tube into the U-tube and suck all of the air out. Make sure that there is water on both sides of the tube and that one end is shorter than the other.

fishkid2

Ok now it works.
my dad tryed that before and I guess he was kind of retarded if he could not get that to work. It took me 2 secs