Getting off to a bad start

tom b.

I am in the process of having a 500 + gallon Reef tank instaled. The instalation was complete and the tank looked beautiful with the Coral and Fish. The day after it was completed the front of the tank let go and we had 500+ gallons of salt water, live rock, coral, & sand spill out. The supplier of the tank tried to blame it on the company that had the contract (in excess of $20,000.00) by saying the tank was not level. We used a level prior to the installation and again after the tank exploded to check it and I can tell you that the tank was not off more tha 1/32nd of an inch. He also said we should have had 2" of foam under the tank.
The contractor has been very good so far in replacing the tank etc. and tomorrow he will install the live rock and saltwater again.
As you might guess I wasn't sure I wanted to go through this again but I have.
Any thoughts???? Has anyone heard of this problem before?
Tom B.

darth tang

Needs to be perfectly level. That is a lot of water to hold back and any slight angle will stress the glass. Foam under the tank helps support the bottom glass which is a must. You might have had a stress point in one of those areas and that caused the collapse. The supplier was correct. Sorry for your loss.

jjlittle

500 gal of water that had to be some mess. Glad to hear they are or at least seem to be doing you right by replacing the tank. Hope all works out this time post some pics of your tank would be nice to see.

tom b.

Thanks, I got the bright idea to place the tank where there was a large window between the Dining Room and the Screened-in outside porch. Thank God when the tank broke it emptied into the outside porch and not the dining room. Yes, it was a mess but could have been worse.
Tom B.

tom b.

We used 1 1/4" Pelxiglass but you are probably right. I am somewhat nervous about it doing it again.
Tom B.

saltn00b

why were there corals in a new tank that needs to be cycled? unless im missing something.
post pics when its up and running!

tom b.

It took a week from the time the live rock, saltwater & was added until the Coral was added then another two days until the fish were added.
Tom B.

aw2

1/4" is NOT nearly thick enough for a tank that size. That's probably the main reason for the break.
You need to be using something closer to 1/2" - 3/4", at the least.
The higher the tank, the thicker the material that needs to be used. My 300gal. acrylic tank is 96x24x30 and it's 3/4" acrylic.

brolik1

Originally Posted by AW2
1/4" is NOT nearly thick enough for a tank that size. That's probably the main reason for the break.
You need to be using something closer to 1/2" - 3/4", at the least.
The higher the tank, the thicker the material that needs to be used. My 300gal. acrylic tank is 96x24x30 and it's 3/4" acrylic.
I believe you are right,my friend has a 1000 gallon tank in his petshop and the acrylic glass is about 1''-1.5'' or so.

birdy

was it 1 1/4 or 1/4" you have both listed, I certainly hope it was not 1/4",
My husband and I build stands for a acrylic tank builder and we have been told that acrylic tank stands need vertical support every two feet, they must be perfectly level and there must be a piece of 3/4" plywood on the base of the stand, and then you need a piece of 3/4" foam board for the tank to rest on (2" seems a bit much but if that is what he said then I guess you should do it).
That seems very very quick to have fish and corals in a tank. Are you going to be taking care of this tank yourself or is a company doing it for you?

saltn00b

Originally Posted by TOM B.
It took a week from the time the live rock, saltwater & was added until the Coral was added then another two days until the fish were added.
Tom B.
umm that is no where near enough time for any tank, especially one of that size to cycle. in fact , its likely that it had not even began to cycle yet. once recreating that tank with thicker acryllic i hihgly suggest taking your time and watching your levels carefully before adding anything more then base rock/ LR and LS. some people dont even cycle with the LR because you get die off.

bs21

well a gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs X 500 gallons...... you do the math thats alot of wieght especially if the glass is on 1/4" thick. i hope it works out for you this time.

tom b.

The acrylic was and is 1 1/4" thick. We used 3/4" marine plywood on stand and we have 2" x 4" boards every 24" apart.
We used saltwater 1/2 from from an existing tank that had Coral & Fish in it, and then made up the other 1/2 fresh. I really don't think that was a problem as the person who sold me the system has been doing this for 15 years and quarentees all his Coral & fish for six months. He will also maintain the tank on a weekly basis like you would a swiming pool service.
I live in Naples Florida
Thanks,
Tom B.

tom b.

I appeared to break at the bottom seam for lack of glue. The contractor feels that the peice that broke was not cut at the right angle. The maker of the tank said it was our fault. When the seam broke the tank split up both sides about one foot from the side seams.
Tom B.

birdy

Did you go with a different tank maker this time? I would be a bit wary honestly. Any tank should be able to handle 1/32" of an inch off, that is almost nothing.

tom b.

You have no idea of the fright. When the tank bursted there was a loud noise and I thought my Debbie fell and broke a bone as she screamed. When I came out of another room I saw the water rushing out of the tank carrying the inside of the tanke with it, including all the live rock, coral, sand, etc. I felt helpless!! The rush of the water broke through the outside screen and the large acrylic front of the tank was twenty feet from the cabinet holding the tank. The scary thing is had my grand daughter been out there she would have been killed. I think even an aduld would have had been seriouly hurt. I am not one to over-react so believe me it was frighting.
Tom B.