Getting out Damsels

superhero

OK , if you are dumb like me and did not do any reacherch before you started your tank and threw in some damsels to cycle it fear no more because I know how to get them out without tearing down your beautifily sculptured rock!
First go to the local ***** or some LFS and ask if you can purchace or borrow their plastic spescmine container

superhero

Then you put it inside of your tank and fill it up with water so that it is full but not submerged and hang it on the sied. Then add some frozen brine shrimp or flake food and jsut wait for it to settle to the bottom. Once its settled, you should slowly turn the container 90 degrees so that is verticle witht the bottom of the tank. After that , jsut wait for the fishys to come swimmin in for food, and whala you have yourself a caught fish.
-Tony

joker_ca

good idea, how long before you caught your damsels you must of been standing there for awhile
i usually get a critter cage made of acrylic and a plastic lid with a door opening and put fresh shrimp and lay it on the bottom with a piece of LR and wait for them to swim in and just close the door on them they get scared and swim to the LR and hide behind it and dont try to escape out the door:happyfish

joker_ca

thank you i like your idea too, its better than destroying your tank just to get out one fish:happyfish

oceanic

The best way to catch damsels is with a barbeque skewer!!!???Whoops, did I say that out loud?

jesatfis

Why take them out not nice enough? keep em in and put in a large agressive fish to eat them that take out the agressive (and full) fish lol

T

tuningvis

i just put in some food and used a net :notsure: guess mine wanted to go :)

loup

mine was to smart for food in net rig. I ended tearing the tank apart to get one damsel. One the plus side, i like the new rock arrangement. But I like both of your ideas. To bad i'll never cycle with a damsel again.

viet-tin

To catch my fish i usually sprikle some flakes on top of the water and wait for them to come up and eat then take a net and swipe them up. You have to be fast but i always get them. If you dont get them the first time try again. Most damsels are little fat and greedy fish always wanting to eat so they will come up for food and you can swpie at it again. I like the bbq skewer idea :D just keep poking until you get something

zenway9

i have to damsels right now (1 yellow tail and one blue). should i take them out before i decide to put anything else in? i was going to go with the standard clown and yellow tang...maybe a couple others.

loup

i took my one damsel out because it went on a 10 hour killing rampage when i added the new shrimp and fish in.. It was a costly mistake :nope:

mudplayerx

Just turn the lights out, get the room pitch black. Then get a flashlight with a red lens. The fish can't see the red light and you can scoop them up easily this way.