Getting out of fish

murph

Lets face it, the odds of getting quality fish stock seems to have become a thing of the past.
The retail opotions in my area are fish horribly comprimised by parasitic infection or fish that have been swimming around in copper for god knows how long.
I am currently useing hypo to clear up a parasitic infection that went from low level managable to full blowen after a tank move. Grant it this was my fault by carelessly makeing an addition without proper QT procedure but I think I am done with higher dollar fish species in general.
My 75g reef is currently fish less and at this point I am leaning toward damsels as a disposable fish source to keep the reef in better balance. My angels tangs and clown will be going back and traded out for damsels. Tank will then become centered on corals.
I suspect I am not alone in this and the only way to get the wholesalers and retailers to make efforts at rectifieing this problem is for all of use to start speaking with our dollars. Damsels are active interesting, pleasing to the eye, inexpensive and completly reef safe. Not only will we be sending a message as reefers but giveing the much abused damsels some much due respect.
After my reefs fallow period I will be saveing a group of damsels from there copper soaking and that will be the extent of my fish list.

i havent posted in a while...murph...please dont do this!...and if you know you're going to....is there anyway you could possibly let me buy ur yellow and red dwarf lion? i love him to death.
this may have been the wrong person that i posted to... and if it is soo sorry!
please still dont do this...think of how the fish would be at the incompetent LFS

murph

I believe you are thinking of murph145 and yes she has a great tank.
I will look into gifting out the fish I have in hypo to a fellow hobbyist rather than back to the lfs. These fish are vary well adapted to captivity and have given me no problems in other regards and are responding well to there hypo treament.
My reef however will be centered on corals and a low population of inexpensive specimens for no other reason but to help feed the corals and keep the tank balanced. Like I said damsels are active interesting fish and the low fish load will most likely be to the tanks benefit also.
If you think about it when you see TV documentrys about the reef what do you see the most of. Either damsels or non reef safe fish that are there to thin out/eat the corals. Tangs are passing through town and angels are not really 100 percent reef safe and prone to larger territorys than can be provided by most hobbyist. Both species have probably had there life spans reduced by the copper exposure in captivity or the parsitic infections encoutered in various wholsalers holding tanks.
I believe I will end up with a much more natural looking reef with out the worry of one inadvertent addition wipeing out over a hundred dollars worth of fish stock. It will also free me of any concerns but of that for my corals.

S

scoobs

I think murph145 is a dude.. Unless she has a deep voice.

cyclops

Originally Posted by Murph
I believe you are thinking of murph145 and yes she has a great tank.
I will look into gifting out the fish I have in hypo to a fellow hobbyist rather than back to the lfs. These fish are vary well adapted to captivity and have given me no problems in other regards and are responding well to there hypo treament.
My reef however will be centered on corals and a low population of inexpensive specimens for no other reason but to help feed the corals and keep the tank balanced. Like I said damsels are active interesting fish and the low fish load will most likely be to the tanks benefit also.
If you think about it when you see TV documentrys about the reef what do you see the most of. Either damsels or non reef safe fish that are there to thin out/eat the corals. Tangs are passing through town and angels are not really 100 percent reef safe and prone to larger territorys than can be provided by most hobbyist. Both species have probably had there life spans reduced by the copper exposure in captivity or the parsitic infections encoutered in various wholsalers holding tanks.
I believe I will end up with a much more natural looking reef with out the worry of one inadvertent addition wipeing out over a hundred dollars worth of fish stock. It will also free me of any concerns but of that for my corals.
Good luck with your New Coral tank, you should keep the clowns they are damsels aslo. what typ of corals are you ging to keep?

murph

Already have mostly soft corals in my 75g reef.
After the fallow period will be rearrangeing rock work and possibly move some to sump/fuge to make room for a few more corals. Luckly I have a vary good local source to purchase corals from.