getting pods from refug to tank?

option720

If a refugium is great place to grow and protect copepods and amphipods, how do you get them out of the refugium and into the tank. Do you have to collect them or will they just make their way in there via the return line?

harris

Turkey baster will work well, suck them out and put them in the main tank.
After a while they sucj propagate to the main tank, but this will facilitate the transfer.

mr . salty

When you trim the algae back,put it in the main tank.The pods will be in there...Or move large clumps of algae into the main tank for a couple hours,then put it back into the refugium.The pods will probably move into the rock while it is in the main tank...I dont think many will survive a trip through the pump....

nm reef

I shake the heck outta the caulpera now and then....critters scurry everywhere...whenever I do this I run to the display and watch the fish grab snacks as they fall from the returns..... :eek:
by the way my returns via gravity so I don't worry about death due to pumps... :D
[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: NM reef ]

bhav_88

How exactly do you set up a refugium? I know what it is now, but am still not sure what it is. Please be specific. I don't know what you mean by an "overflow" if you say that, so don't. Could you use a canister filter to pump it from the "fuge" to the tank, and another pump to get it back?