getting ready for a 20l build

kirshman

I've got one more decision to make before I kick it off. I'm trying to decide whether to put another 20l underneath with Skimmer/return/fuge sections or do a 10 for the Skimmer/return and a Rubbermaid for fuge. I'm worried if I have the fuge built in with the rest the light for the macros will have stuff growing where I don't want it. What're your thoughts?

kirshman

Its gonna be a 20l build, mixed reef. I've got most of my equipment, glassholes overflow and mag3 for return, got my Skimmer, and led light for display. Gonna run chaeto in the fuge. Just need to decide on my layout below the tank. like I said, i'm worried about the light growing algae where I don't want it if I put it all together.

snakeblitz33

A ten gallon sump isn't going to be big enough to hold runoff from a display and a refugium. I'd go with a 20 tall and it it all in the same tank. Maybe split it for the return in the center. That way you can have a large fuge and the proper water level for your skimmer. Since you would have extra space on one side of the sump, you could light it through the glass and use black aquarium safe silicone on the baffle and sides to block out some light from the rest of the sump. Jmo.

beaslbob

go with the separate Rubbermaid refugium.

That way the refugium can be at a higher water level and the sump area is where the water level varies. But than baffles do that also. But if you have a combined sump/refugium with no baffles you have to run it at lower water levels then if you had a separate refugium area..

Either way you can adjust so that neither the sump floods (overflow stops before sump flood) or the display floods with a drain failure (sump runs dry before display floods).

my .02