Getting ready to take the plunge!

a7xsynx42

I believe I'm finally ready to get water in my tank and LR and get the cycle going. But I still have some questions but I'll list all my equipment first..
-About a 45gal tank (48 x 13 x 19)
-Fluval 305 3-stage canister filter for up to 90gals.
-Coralife Super Skimmer 35002 for up to 120 gals.
-3x Seio 320 Powerheads for 960gph. Plus the return for my filter will add to that.
-4x 65watt PC bulbs (2x Actinic, 2x 10000k)
-Visatherm heater (not sure of the wattage but it's enough)
-About 1 1/2" of sand and crushed coral.
-I plan on getting 45-55 lbs of LR.
-Plus waterchange tub w/heater, powerhead, etc..
My stock list that I want..
-2x False Percula Clownfish (Can I have a black one with an orange since they're both False Perculas?)
-Dwarf Flame Angel
-Some kind of Blenny
-Maybe another active small fish (Suggestions?)
-Emerald Crab
-Sally Lightfoot Crab
-Fire Shrimp
-Other small clean up crew inverts.
-Lots of "easy" corals
Now do I NEED any more equipment? Is that enough LR? Is my lighting good enough? Enough water flow? Is my stock list ok? ANY comments/suggestions welcome.. I'm kinda nervous about getting started too soon or screwing up! Sorry for the wall of text!!!

renogaw

personally, i'd spend the extra couple hundred and get some aquactinics t5 lights instead of the pc's. makes those "easy corals" a LOT easier.
you're a *little* light on the LR, but see how it stacks and see if you can/should add more.
i'd say a sump is going to be better than the fluval, but that's just me (and a bunch of people :p )
you're *ok* on the flow.
get rid of the crushed coral... all the sand will settle to the bottom and you'll have nightmares later on.
you can mix colored Occellaris clowns, just make sure they are added at the same time AND make sure they are both occellaris.
blenny's are kewl :) bicolor or midas are my fav's.
personally i love my yellow tail damsel and my 6line wrasse, but they need to be added last.
you could also look into a red serpent star, they are great clean up crew additions, but make sure the tank is settled first.

a7xsynx42

yeah i'm looking into getting t5s based on what i've been reading.. so the sand is ok? theres not much crushed coral in there.. maybe 5 lbs with 40 lbs of sand.

woody189

Originally Posted by a7xsynx42
http:///forum/post/2980865
yeah i'm looking into getting t5s based on what i've been reading.. so the sand is ok? theres not much crushed coral in there.. maybe 5 lbs with 40 lbs of sand.
Yea, go w/ t5's.
Is there a reason for the CC? 5 lbs isn't much, but why add it?
I agree about ditching the canister. Get a sump instead. I just started my 1st tank 1yr ago, and I had a canister. I didn't have any problems w/ it, but I just got done building my sump, and it's so much better. And the skimmer will funtion so much better because teh water level won't flucuate.
I like your stocklist, and as suggested, I would add a 6 line or firefish ( purple are real nice). And as for the blenny, I just added a midas blenny and he is so nice. Just be patient when purchasing till you find the exact color you want and size (a lot are real big and faded)

pete159

i dont think a sump is needed with a small 45g tank. maybe with a 90g+
just get at least 40lbs of live rock,... better yet, 80, and a great skimmer...and you will be fine.
But i still use a HOB filter and a canister filter on my 46g tank.
if you have room for a sump and know how to set it up then go for it.

a7xsynx42

See I don't know how much LR 80 lbs is.. Would that leave enough room? I found a great deal on 60 lbs and I might go for that.. As for the CC. I have it because it breaks up the sand and adds a different texture. Plus they "shine" under my blue lights.. If they're that big of a hassle I can pick it all out lol..
Ok so more LR I can do and I'm gonna get HO T5 lighting as soon as I find as least 264w for a decent price. Thanks everyone so far!!!!

a7xsynx42

And I don't think I'm gonna go with a sump YET.. I just saw a Sixline Wrasse and they are amazing looking so add that too my stocklist.. Which should I introduce first..? I was thinking..
2 Clownfish, Blenny, Dwarf Flame Angel then Sixline Wrasse.

woody189

http:///forum/post/2981223
See I don't know how much LR 80 lbs is.. Would that leave enough room? I found a great deal on 60 lbs and I might go for that.. As for the CC. I have it because it breaks up the sand and adds a different texture. Plus they "shine" under my blue lights.. If they're that big of a hassle I can pick it all out lol..
Ok so more LR I can do and I'm gonna get HO T5 lighting as soon as I find as least 264w for a decent price. Thanks everyone so far!!!!
I think the 60 lbs is fine. 80 may not give you as much room as you may want. And 5 lbs of CC won't cause any probelms. If you like it, keep it.

http:///forum/post/2981235
And I don't think I'm gonna go with a sump YET.. I just saw a Sixline Wrasse and they are amazing looking so add that too my stocklist.. Which should I introduce first..? I was thinking..
2 Clownfish, Blenny, Dwarf Flame Angel then Sixline Wrasse.

A canister is fine, jsut make sure you maintain it properly. A sump is easier though, and I think worth the trouble. Especially if you have space. They are real cheap to make too. If you build one yourself, it'll probably be cheaper than the canister, and they work much better, and give you a place for a refugium and your equipment.
when I had my skimmer in my tank, there were bubbles all over ( not TOO much, but enough). Now the bubbles are in the sump, and I have no bubbles in tank, and only 1heater, and Powerheads in my tank.
The 6lines are real nice, and swim in and out your rock all day. I would probably add the sixline before the angel though. I have a 46 gal tank and this is what I have in order
1 clown (had 2 but 1 just jumped)
royal gramma
purple firefish (should have added before RG)
midas blenny
I plan on addding 1 more clown to replace the other one
Flame angel will be last.
I may get 1 more fish before flame, but IDK yet.
make sure you cover the top w/ the blenny. My clown just jumped, and that's kinda unusual. Real cmmon for blennies though

a7xsynx42

Ok how does this lighting sound for the "easy" corals and maybe some harder ones..
-48" 2X 54W HO T5 Bulb 12000K, 2x 54W HO T5 Bulb Actinic Blue, 4x Bluemoon LED (216 watt total) with fan and seperate power cords for suprisingly cheap.
-I'm getting rid of my Seio powerheads (Lesson: DON'T BUY THE CHEAPEST!) and getting 2x Koralia 600gph for 1,200gph plus my return for my filter (How does that sound?).
-And I can't get my Salinity over 1.017. I'm using one of those cheap plastic hyrometers (Another Lesson!). I'll be getting a Refractometer this weekend. Back to my problem.. I'm using Instant Ocean 160 gal. bucket. It says 1/2 cup per US gallon. While filling my tank up I used 38 gallons of water. I used 25 cups of salt (Only "needing" 19) before I called it quits.. Am I not mixing it properly? I'm also using Genesis Chemical Remover for SWF.. Could that effect it?
Thanks again everyone!!!