getting rid of problem algea

reefman316

I have 1 small snail that I didn't know I even had and 1 small hermit crab.I figure that I'll need more to get rid of the problem algea but is there any other way to get rid of it until I get some cash flow to buy the necessary snails and crabs to keep it under control for the time being.This is very frustrating and I don't want it to cover all of my pink and purple coraline algea that is established already and the new growth that is rapidly growing.Please help.So far this tank is giving me the best results in keeping marine animals and I don't want all that I've put into it so far to date to get covered with problem algea.The type of algea that is appearing all over the top of my reef is brown.My water quality isn't bad at all but I don't have a way to test for phosphates in my test kit.My only alternative is to take a sample of my water to a store that sells marine fish and have them test is for me.Finally to the 5 that responded so far thank you for the advice and it will be taken seriously because I don't want my tank to fail.

distantstar

If its red or brown algae the product of choice is ANTIRED. Which workd well and doesnt hurt fishies and corals.
If its green well thats a bit harder as its usually due to high phospahte levels.
I scrub my rock now and then when I see it.
otherwise us a phosphate adsorber for some short term relief.
Cheers

barracuda

Nitrites, high nitrates and phisphates are causing the algae problem. If you don't have nitrites, than check the other two parameters. If you have high phosphates try using phosphate remover sponge it is available from different companies. The root cause for phosphates and silicates is the tap water. Thats why u should use RO or DI water. If u don't use such water u need to plan buying RO unit. I had problem with a hair algae. It was about 4" long covering all the live rocks. I bought a lot of turbo snails and RO unit. Turbo ate all the algae within 3-4 days, wow that was amazing. They "shaved" the rocks.
Good luck!

jacksonpt

Cutting down on how long you run your lights will help some. I had diatom algae for a while... and found that shortening how long I run my lights by 3 hours helped quite a bit. I used to run my lights from 7am-9pm. Now I run my actinic from 7am-10pm, and my full spectrums from 10am-8pm.

txreefer

I agree with DimaMC - check out your trates. I was having a bad alge problem and my trates were sky high. I lowered them and that helped alot. Another thing to look at is the incadescent(sp?) light coming into your tank. Are there any big windows that might allow the light in? If so, put up shades. Finally, a cheap way to get rid of it is to buy a lawnmower blenny ($15-20). I got one, and he tore my alge up. Hope this helps.

krusk

what is your water source?
how old is your light bulbs?
cut back on feeding, reduce your photo period will also help
like others said :check your nitrate, phosphate
the most successful way to get rid of green hairy algae is starve them out.
Phostphate and nitrate are their main food sources

psumba

I had had some green algae blooms on my glass on some rocks.
But I have no nitrate or phosphate in my water.
Is there such thing as green coraline?
Well I reduced it on my front glass - cleaned it everyday for 3 days, bought a scraper for the tough stuff, and then skipped a day of feeding to very light feeding. Seemed to do the trick.
I also changed the filter in my mechanicals. This helps because the nitrates get trapped in there.