getting rid of this aneneme

D

dboy999

Id like some opinion on this..it was a hitchicker on some live rock in my species only seahorse/pipefish etc...tank...i want to either rmove maybe throw it in my 375 main tank or just kill it..any suggestions?

D

dboy999

i know this!ia asking best ways of getting rid of it i blasted a few large aspsita before putting rock in missed him. thats the question?

I think everyone kind of has their own prefered method. I am a big fan of using a surgical needle with a thick kalk paste to essentially burn them out. You need to be careful to watch your numbers. However I have never really had a problem because I limit it to one needle at a time and it is too small to really change alk, etc.
Others like the natural approach of using peppermin shrimp. I find that overly expensive and mine always seem to be lazy.
The do make some actual products but I dont know much about them.
I reccomend the kalk death.

sfe

Originally Posted by brenner_jeff
I think everyone kind of has their own prefered method. I am a big fan of using a surgical needle with a thick kalk paste to essentially burn them out. You need to be careful to watch your numbers. However I have never really had a problem because I limit it to one needle at a time and it is too small to really change alk, etc.
Others like the natural approach of using peppermin shrimp. I find that overly expensive and mine always seem to be lazy.
The do make some actual products but I dont know much about them.
I reccomend the kalk death.
How about get red scarlet hermits or some butterfly fish. Red scarlet hermits are the cheapest route to getting rid of them and they love eating these anemones.

sfe

Originally Posted by dboy999
Id like some opinion on this..it was a hitchicker on some live rock in my species only seahorse/pipefish etc...tank...i want to either rmove maybe throw it in my 375 main tank or just kill it..any suggestions?
Why would you want to put it in your main tank? That is not very smart.

ophiura

Originally Posted by SFE
How about get red scarlet hermits or some butterfly fish. Red scarlet hermits are the cheapest route to getting rid of them and they love eating these anemones.

Seriously? I have never heard of using these hermits for eating anemones, and never had them eat any.
The anemone seems to be a Majano type anemone...often thought to be a "small bubble tip anemone." They are considered a pest anemone, but often do not reproduce as quickly as aiptasia.

They are just a pain because they can sting corals and the breed like the plague and they are a real pain in the {edit} to get rid of once your in. It is a lot easier to get rid of one now then 20 in a month, and 80 the next month ect.
I have also never heard of red crabs eating them. If this were the case I dont think LFS's could get away with raping customers for $5 for an otherwise boring shrimp.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by sterling
get rid of it, it's a nuisance anemone...they reproduce like crazy and take over.
You sure about that, looks like a BTA to me. Check the tentacles around the oral disk, are they all close to the sides or mixed within the oral disk?
Thomas

azocean709

i never heard of no red scarlet eating pest anemones.....mybe a peppermint shrimp, but that is if you actually get one that will. I have an idea....start a one gallon or two gallon tank with a simple filter and put the little rascal in there and just wait. see what happens. If it is a bubble, then it wont spread very fast, it would split i think....if it is a nasty little crap, it will be all over. know what i mean?.

dexter

it does look like a small BTA. Personally, since you have only one, I would monitor it in it's current tank and if it starts spreading like others have indicated then you have the majano, if not then you have a pretty nice little BTA. - JMO
Dxtr -

caillou

Originally Posted by Dexter
it does look like a small BTA. Personally, since you have only one, I would monitor it in it's current tank and if it starts spreading like others have indicated then you have the majano, if not then you have a pretty nice little BTA. - JMO
Dxtr -

I agree 100%, I was just illustrating that majanos are pretty nice looking, look similiar to BTA's , but if needed nuke them!

sfe

Originally Posted by AzOcean709
i never heard of no red scarlet eating pest anemones.....mybe a peppermint shrimp, but that is if you actually get one that will. I have an idea....start a one gallon or two gallon tank with a simple filter and put the little rascal in there and just wait. see what happens. If it is a bubble, then it wont spread very fast, it would split i think....if it is a nasty little crap, it will be all over. know what i mean?.
IF you'd rather not mess around with sophisticated needles and chemicals, you might want to try introducing one of the animals known to feed on pest anemones such as Aiptasia in the wild. The Copperband butterflyfish. But unforunately the copperband's appetite won't just stop with Aiptasia anemones but it may expand it's menu into your prized inverts.
But since it may be hard to remove a butterflyfish from a reef, a better dchoice of predator might be the red-legged hermit crab which will happily consume Aiptasia while not harming the prized specimens.

sfe

Originally Posted by Thomas712
You sure about that, looks like a BTA to me. Check the tentacles around the oral disk, are they all close to the sides or mixed within the oral disk?
Thomas
Although it would be rather nice for it to be a BTA its probably not since this anemone came with the liverock, probably concealed in the pores of it being a pest anemone.

mudplayerx

Looks like a bta to me as well. I got one for $7 a couple of months ago and it has already split. If it continues to split at this rate I might have another cash cow for store credit.

D

dboy999

thomas..no i think it is a bta,i also have these which i was wandering about look abit like the ones in that thread?

damselsrck

hmmm...I might have one of those, I'm not sure though. It has never gotten the little "bubbles" at the ends. I had assumed it was a button polyp of some sort after I had to get rid of an aiptasia. It's stalk is longer than the ones in the pics look. Oh, another important factor is, do these anemones need lighting? Becuase whatever it is in my tank has been migrating toward the top of my rocks to get more light...poor thing...I only have flourescents now

should I be concerned?