Getting started

surfrat295

First off hello to everyone
.. I'm just getting into saltwater aquariums. I don't have any experience with saltwater at all so I'm looking for some help. I just have a few questions.
1) What size tank would you start off with? (I hear the bigger the tank the easier it is)
2) how are the nano tanks for a starter tank?
3) reef or no reef?
Like I said I'm new so I don't know that much other than some of the info I have seen on this forum.. Any help is appreciated... I've heard so many different things from people in this area about what to have and not to have I don't know where to start. I just want to do it right. :help:

Thanks, Rich

mag395

First off, welcome to the forum.
A good place to start is to ask yourself what you want to keep and go from there.
1. Size of tank. Start with as big as you can afford/have the space for. Keep in mind that the bigger the tank, the easier it will be to maintain good water quality, the larger the water changes will be, and the more expensive it will be. Most people on here will tell you to pick the biggest tank you can get and then double it. This is because most people in this hobby get the aquarium bug bad and then upgrade within 6 months. In my opinion (IMO), start with the biggest tank you can afford to make look nice. I have seen people with huge tanks that don't look near as good as my 30. Also, when buying equipment, buy things that can work on bigger tanks. Not only will it help the health of the tank, but if you upgrade later, you don't have to rebuy all new equipment.
2. Nano tanks as a starter are pretty good. However, you'll probably want to upgrade within 6 months. Also, they usually come in acrylic, which IMO, isn't as good as glass for small tanks. The smaller the water volume, the harder it will be to maintain good water quality. I started with a 29 and went up to a 30. Not a big jump, I know, but I have to transport it to college and back. Try to think about all factors when you are planning your tank. Try to stay standard with tank sizes and shapes. They are less expensive and are easier to replace and build things like stands and canopies for.
3. Reefs are more expensive. The corals, lights, and live rock (LR) required for a reef tank are all pricey. But IMO, it is worth the expense. I started out thinking I was going to do a fish only with LR (FOWLR) tank then went to a reef. I don't recommend this because I wasted a bunch of money.
Here are some info threads from the archive:
Plumbing: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/172634/marine-tank-plumbing
Equipment: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/148610/beginners-equipment-guidebook
Lighting: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/170123/saltwater-aquariums-101-lighting
Here is a list of Acronym definitions you will encounter on this forum:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/42388/bulletin-board-acronyms
The archive section has tons of info on almost any question you could ask.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

S

sinner's girl

corals and such need an established tank anyway, so start with just fish. if you like corals then go ahead and plan for a reef, buy the lights, ect.
55gl, imo is a good size to start with. And it can be cheap if you don't need a super fancy stand...I got the tank at walmart and a few years later the stand at walmart (we kept it on our counter before we moved).
go with sand/ls and rock/live.
This hobby doesn't have to be super expensive... Buy lr as you can afford it..buy base rock or make your own (this will cut down on cost)...go with sand and let the lr seed the sand or just buy a small amount of live sand
IMO, you want lr even if you don't go reef, it's a great natural filteration and it looks pretty and give the fish/inverts places to play, sleep and hide.

surfrat295

Thanks everyone for the information.. A guy here at a local pet store told me that he could set me up with a nano 24 with everything I would need for around $600 to $700.. Is that good or bad? :notsure:

S

sinner's girl

imo, way, way too much...
however, define everything you need...power head, test kits, ls, lr, filter, heater, thermoter, filter pads, carbon, ect...
but if you have the money and want to get it all done at once, your money.
we picked up stuff as we went along, got lots used
75gl tank, stand, lights, filter, heater, ph, three fish (trigger, damsel, snapper), one big rock for under $200.
we got the 55gl at walmart, didn't cost much, and later the stand at walmart, didn't cost much...
you can get 45-50lbs of lr on here for $200

surfrat295

Thanks for your opinion Sinner's Girl.. Just wanting to make sure I don't get ripped off.. I'm going to go back tomorrow and get a list of what exactly he is talking about when he says everything I need... Also to look at other size tanks other than the Nano 24.