Getting the attention of your tank fish for a webcam

kenman345

Hi guys, I have a 56G FOWLR setup and I love having a small 4.3" screen on my desk at work that uses a Raspberry Pi to stream the view of my tank at home for me. It would be nice if I can find something that I can control with my phone or a computer that will cause the fish in my tank to come near the camera for optimal viewing pleasure.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what might work to grab the attention of the fish, and maybe I can find a way to automate/remotely control that function with the use of my Reefkeeper which I can control remotely or some other means. I look forward to hearing any suggestions as I am surely not the only one to have given this idea some thought.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger40 http:///t/397717/getting-the-attention-of-your-tank-fish-for-a-webcam#post_3546121
what about a mirror.
Mirrors are something I read about as a trick to catch hard to capture (damsels) fish, but I don't think it would be very effective as a means to temporarily get the attention of the fish, but I guess after a while it may turn into a frequent visit for some of them. I would like to come up with some better alternatives as the mirror doesnt seem like a solution that will allow me to get the attention when i want to get their attention

trigger40

well i wouldent want the attention of my fish, i would want to see what they do when im not around.

kenman345

I am thinking about hooking up an extra circulation pump that will be right by the webcam to give the fish a fun current to swim in every once in a while that I control through my remote connection to my Reefkeeper. If it works, then it's essentially a random current i can trigger that might gain their attention

trigger40

i will admit thats a good idea my fish are always swiumming twards the front panel because that is wher my flow is aimed.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger40 http:///t/397717/getting-the-attention-of-your-tank-fish-for-a-webcam#post_3546219
i will admit thats a good idea my fish are always swiumming twards the front panel because that is wher my flow is aimed.
Yea, for now I am gonna leave things as they are. I have found since I added my latest fish, they have become more and more active as the days pass and the camera gets lots of action without my intervention. It would be nice to set something up before I go on my next vacation though so if they for some reason are not around I can try and do something to see them