GFCI Problem?

wax32

I just bought another GFCI so I could plug my remaining devices into it, namely my Tunze Stream and my metal halide pendant. Everything works ok, until I plug in the MH, then it trips the GFCI. What does that mean? Circuit overload? Faulty MH ballast? Faulty GFCI?
Everything was plugged into same outlet before, just not running through the GFCI.
What do I do to figure out what the problem is?

pchromis

Originally Posted by trainfever
What is the amp rating for the GFCI? Your outlet could be a 20 amp outlet and the GFCI may be a 15 amp.

This and check that no wires are actually wet.

turningtim

More than likely its the GFCI. Those things are know to go bad or be faulty. Can you put in a GFCI at the breaker box. Much more dependable and will cover entire circuit. Not a bad idea is to get a tester for your outlets. This will check for correct wiring and has a small button to test GFCI circuits. They're like $12.00 at HD.
JMO
Tim

wax32

Nothing is wet as far as cord go.
It's another GFCI plugged into another outlet, on a whole other wall and circuit, not daisy chained. The panel is FUSES (it's an old house I rent) so I'm not thinking about fooling with any of that. The GFCI works fine with other equipment, just not this light. So I am tending to lean toward the ballast shorting. I recently put a longer cord on the thing, I'll try putting the short cord back on and see if it still does it.

cowfishrule

what else is on that circuit?
if im correct, the gfi will trip if there is a problem, even if it is not that outlet.
if this is the case, then why not just leave the one that was there? why add a 2nd ?