Ghost feeding

locoyo386

Hi there,
I have some quick questions and looking for quick answears,

Does ghost feeding (when used for cycling tanks) with flakes introduce phosphate into the tank?
If so, would this pose a problem in the near future?
If so, can you ghost feed with brine shrimp or something like that?
If so, would this type of feeding also introduce phosphates?
If so, what can you use that will not introduce phosphates?

spanko

Originally Posted by locoyo386
http:///forum/post/2915493
Hi there,
I have some quick questions and looking for quick answears,

Does ghost feeding (when used for cycling tanks) with flakes introduce phosphate into the tank? Yes. I would think that most suppliers of fish foods to the industry add phosphorous to their food. This because "The dietary requirement of phosphorous for fish has a very narrow ideal range. It should be higher than 0.5% but not exceed 0.9%."
If so, would this pose a problem in the near future? Would think here that there would be a buildup with prolonged use of fish foods, not the short use in ghost feeding though.
If so, can you ghost feed with brine shrimp or something like that? You can ghost feed with anything that will break down into an ammonia source.
If so, would this type of feeding also introduce phosphates?Phosphorus is a component of DNA in all living things.
If so, what can you use that will not introduce phosphates?I am going to have to look for it but it seems that I have read that the bacteria need some level of phosphate to grow.
Food for thought.