Ghost Shrimp to entice Japanese Dragon Eel that wont eat

dougedoug

Was thinking of gut loading some ghost shrimp to entice my dragon to eat.
I got one for about 2 months. So far I have not seen him eat anything. I was away for a week and supposedly he was eating fresh squid from my friend who was feeding for me (FIGURES). I added a few 1.5" red crabs which have successfully disappeared but I cannot be sure who ate them. Could have been my snowflake or lion. The eel is in good shape color wise from what I see. It is still not comfortable in the tank. Lots of head movement when other fish are around and when I present food. Has bit at a few meals presented, but never ate any of them for me at least. Still does not get the concept that I bring the food you eat it.
I have tried to feed this eel everything but my finger. I have been using a wooden dowel which he does the head shake at when I present the food to him. None of my other fish are messing with him and none of them are afraid of him at all so when I get food to him there is limited time before someone else eats it. He swims around the tank some times which usually means they are hungry but completely ignores food.
here is what I have tried so far, some of it from asian market
thawed shrimp
silversides
snapper
clams
prawn
squid
herring
baby octopus
goldfish
This eel was eating silversides in the LFS and was in a much smaller tank with some big predator fish.
Tank is a 200Gallon Fish Only.
Golden Trevally (8 inches)
Lion (6 inches)
Hippo (5 inches)
tassle filefish (4-5 inches)
sailfin (4-5 inches)
purple tang (4-5inches)
snowflake about 20"
dragon is about 24"
Any suggestions would be grateful.

S

saxman

How were your friend and the LFS presenting the food to the eel?
Remember that eels have terrible eyesight, and key more on scent than visual cues. You might try "dragging" a piece of food from the eel's lair to a spot a short distance from the lair after lights out. The eel may hunt the food by scent then (they literally put their noses to the substrate and follow the scent).

dougedoug

Hi Saxman,
I gave it a shot again. The other nite, The eel has no interest in the food I am presenting. My snowflake is the complete opposite. May give it a shot tonight or try some other live food until I can get this one eating frozen. I am not sure how it was fed at the store but it was not in a big tank at all and there was no cover, so I would figure this setup would suite the eel better.
Here is a video of the eel, he looks healthy as far as I know. I am hoping he is eating these crabs at least. I know eels can last quite a bit of time without eating. At the store it was eating twice a week at the store so I figure it would be an easier acclimation. I use pro salt silver sides just like the store as well.