Ghostly Clown Fish?

manycolors

I have had my tank about 2 months now and i started with one false percula and then about 2 weeks ago i added a smaller one to my tank.... i went out of town for 2 days and i came home and the smaller one was gone!!?? I don't have very much live rock in my tank (and plus i pulled it apart) so i know he is NOT in the tank... i have about a 1 1/2 inch gap between the back of my tank and the glass cover, i'm figuring he jumped, but i can not find him anywhere on the floor. maybe one of my dogs got him? My big question is, What made him jump out? have these fish been known to jump before?

alix2.0

Originally Posted by ManyColors
I have had my tank about 2 months now and i started with one false percula and then about 2 weeks ago i added a smaller one to my tank.... i went out of town for 2 days and i came home and the smaller one was gone!!?? I don't have very much live rock in my tank (and plus i pulled it apart) so i know he is NOT in the tank... i have about a 1 1/2 inch gap between the back of my tank and the glass cover, i'm figuring he jumped, but i can not find him anywhere on the floor. maybe one of my dogs got him? My big question is, What made him jump out? have these fish been known to jump before?
he might have just died in the tank and your cleanup crew got him. clowns arent usually jumpers.

I had one jump *nod nod* have no idea why it did, new ones are happy little clams.

manycolors

My clean up crew: 3 nasserus, 2 blue leg hermit (about 1/4 in.) and 1 mexican turbo. It wouldn't bother me so much if i knew what happend to him, he simply just vanished! How long would it take a crew like i have to eat a fish like that? i wouldn't even think it was possible....

cjworkman

My clean up crew: 3 nasserus, 2 blue leg hermit (about 1/4 in.) and 1 mexican turbo. It wouldn't bother me so much if i knew what happend to him, he simply just vanished! How long would it take a crew like i have to eat a fish like that? i wouldn't even think it was possible....

Do you ever hear a clicking noise coming from the tank? Especially at night?

cjworkman

No.... but why would that be a concern?
being a new tank, you might have caught a mantis shrimp in the live rock.
I was unlucky enough to get 3 of them. They are extremely fast and hide, so you hardly ever see them.
When you said the smaller fish was the one to disappear, it sounds like you could have a stealthy predator.

manycolors

Originally Posted by cjworkman
being a new tank, you might have caught a mantis shrimp in the live rock.
I was unlucky enough to get 3 of them. They are extremely fast and hide, so you hardly ever see them.
When you said the smaller fish was the one to disappear, it sounds like you could have a stealthy predator.
I have never heard of such a thing before, glad you said something, now i have something to look for... about how big are these things and how do i find out if i have one? or more importantly get rid of it?
(Thanks for all the help)

fishygurl

you wont probably see them as they come out in dark and are very shy they can even see red light(i have read) just listen for any clicking noises and if you hear some set up a camera and see if you can see one.

manycolors

Originally Posted by FishyGurl
or it could be something with the tank, test your tank and see if anything is out of the norm?
The first thing i did was check my conditions, but thanks for suggestiong it, it wouldn't be unlike me to over look something like that

J

jesses89

Nassarius snails are quick workers.... they would pretty much get rid of the dead body overnight.

mcbdz

Yes, your clean up crew and clean up quick. You added some but your live rock and sand also contributed to the cleanup crew also. Brisstle worm and mini stars, and pods all help. I was lucky enough to get a pistal shrimp hitch hikker. He was so little that it took me 8 mos. to hear him and after 10 monthes I have had 2 of my long time healthy residents jump.
I have got to get this guy out of here. Also a small emeral crab hybrid that I don't trust. He looks like my emerals but is broen. I see him pick at rocks just like the emerals but his claws are starting to turn dark.