Giving up!

pikapp168

Originally Posted by jdennysgir
Salinity is taken with the coralife deepsix plastic thing 1.025
I had the deepsix hydrometer and it was always giving me false readouts...I have heard a lot of others had the same issue. Try a different hydrometer.

cam78

in my canister I run the filter pads, phosguard, and chemi pure. The salt I use is tropic marine. My levels are always pretty much perfect. Try the Chemi pure in your canister.

jdennysgir

Thanks for the new replies. I am saving everything and as soon as this snowstorm is over I will begin my cleanup. I am going to give it one last shot.

whyamisofl

Originally Posted by pikapp168
I had the deepsix hydrometer and it was always giving me false readouts...I have heard a lot of others had the same issue. Try a different hydrometer.
Do NOT try another hydrometer.....
Spend the money and get a temp adjustable refractometer.
Also, where are you located?? Possibly someone nearby can lend a hand?

jdennysgir

I live in Logansport, Indiana approx. 70 mi. north of Indianapolis. I am checking out this site for supplies for test kits and the refrac. My computer is off and on the internet due to the storm though. I am off work today so I will try to get on here for more info. throughout the day.

jdennysgir

Fishfryer, I had been using ro water from our local Culligan dealer. We just recently had a ro water setup installed in our home. Hoping this would be ok to use?? I have already raised the temp. a bit. It is now 80 degrees and holding. I will try and increase it a bit more soon.

jdennysgir

Looking at the Salifert test kits, it seems I have to order each kit separately. So I need PH, Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites, Phosphates, Alkalinity and what else?? Don't they have any combination kits? I want to order the Coralife Skimmer also, but I see they are out of stock right now. Also, I need to get some carbon filters for my Fluval. The closest saltwater fish store is about 35 miles from me so it may be a few days before I can get these. I think I will continue to use my IO salt at least until I use it all. It seems that some people do like it. Am I on the right track so far? I will be posting everything I do. Thanks.

teresaq

sorry i didnt get back sooner. you can use a couple of rubbermaid tubs or 5 gal buckets for this cleanup.
first put water from your tank water in one, add fish and any inverts. add one clean powerhead and heater
in the other tube add 5 gal of tank water, and start taking rock out. scrub with a soft brush. not hard, just get the gunk off.
clean your power heads. and any other equipment.
you said you have a fluvel, how mant compartments does it have. sorry cant help with your canister, but would try for carbon and filter floss. do you have a hob filter, i would run one with filter floss to remove waste in water while you things out of the tank. be sure to have aged water ready to fill your tank back up. once everything has be cleaned put it all back (except fish) and let it settle for a day. be sure to check your levels. and do another water change if needed. One of the pet places on line sells a master kit. thats what i use, and it works good. google Saltwater Master liquid test kit. they also sell it at petsmart.
I buy most of my supplies on line. much cheaper then lfs.
If you have any questions please e-mail me. m0m24@earthlink dot net