glass/acrylic together?

azaintcold

In a DIY sump, can you use a glass aquarium, and silicon in acrylic baffles? The reason I want this is the for sure guarantee that the actually sump tank wont spring a leak. Thanks!

njbeacher

What I did was cut a bunch of 1 inch by 10 inch strips of plexi. You length will vary by the height of your sump tank. I siliconed these to the inside of the tank, 2 per side, per piece of plexi I wanted to install. The distance between the two is the width of a sheet of plexi. Once they are set, I inserted my baffle into this channel and siliconed it in place. This gave it more strength vs siliconing the thin edge of the plexi directly to the glass.

azaintcold

I'm going to set up a bubble trap with three pieces staggard to catch the micro bubbles. Then do something with a piece of pvc for surface aggitation on the fuge side draining from the surface down the the mid level of the return pump area, using a 90 elbow. Should work well. I'll post pics when I set it up here shortly.

earlybird

Why not go with glass? Lowes will cut glass (1/8") or you can probably find a local glass shop that will do it for you. I had to use one piece of acrylic b/c I couldn't drill holes into the glass (long story). If you do use acrylic, sand the sides real good so that the silicone will adhere better. Silicone isn't really meant for acrylic but it will work.

earlybird

The place by me won't and neither will lowes. I needed holes b/c I didn't have the room for one more baffle withouth cutting out some valuable space in my fuge. I have a 10g sump/fuge

azaintcold

I'll probably do the same thing you did then with the one piece of acrylic for my fuge idea. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know what kind of bit I would need to cut a hole in glass?

mr. green

Glass Drill Bit, I have seen these both that were really expensive and really cheap. A buddy of mine bought a cheap one and ended up cracking the glass for some reason. Just shop around, but be careful, it can get really sharp.

chill

i used ge silicone II it says 100% clear, but has mildew resistant. how long will mildew resistant silicone leak impurities? or should i remove sump/fuge and re silicone with ge silicone I.

earlybird

Originally Posted by chill
i used ge silicone II it says 100% clear, but has mildew resistant. how long will mildew resistant silicone leak impurities? or should i remove sump/fuge and re silicone with ge silicone I.
You need the stuff without the mildew resistant. That will crash your tank. I wouldn't risk it. I believe Silicone I is what I used, it's aquarium grade.
If you drill glass look online for a good quality glass drill bit. Don't trust the crappy ones they sell at depot or lowes.

jfcat

I was thinking of changing the baffles on my sump and I can't take the unit out from under my tank because of it's size. I was thinking of making a 3 sided box, then adding a center panel to it raised off the floor. So in effect the three baffles contained in a box. Then inserting the whole assembly into the sump and glueing it. Whould something like that work for you?
Though I agree with "just use glass".
For drilling glass, get a good quality diamond bit and make sure to keep it wet throughout the entire drilling process. Heat is what will make it crack. Take your time and don't force it.