Glass cages dot com

rlablan

Glass Cages.com
Has anyone ever worked with them? Are they any good? I went to my local LFS stores today and asked about a custom 180ish sized tank with an internal overflow on the side of the tank, instead of on the back. I want this tank to be peninsula style, so it can be used as a room divider in our new loft.
Everything else on the tank is pretty standard, I don't even want sapphire glass.
They all wanted upwards of $3000 and that may or may not have been with a stand.
Checked GC.com and it is an estimated $1881 for the stand, canopy, and the tank, bulkheads, and custom 45 long sump, + shipping.
Sound good? Is there a catch?
Thanks!
Rae

aquaknight

The catch is that it's a 50/50 chance. There is no middle ground with GlassCages, people are either very happy with their tanks/transaction all for a very reasonable price, or it's a nightmare for them, bad customer service, etc.
I think as long as everything goes smoothly, it should be okay. It's if something goes wrong on shipping, they don't answer your calls/emails, etc.
I would place their tanks mid-quality. There not POS, but you can tell they're not that $3000 for just the tank. The silicone's not as pretty, etc.

rlablan

Yeah... Hmmm they got back to me right away... I placed my bid yesterday and they were quick to reply with all of my questions... Is there someone else I could use that you know off? I am trying to do this whole set up for around 4000 and that is for tank/stank setup and the sand and a couple of fish (just at first, of course.)
Is there someplace better that will do this same work that I memtioned above, for about 2000 bucks??
Thanks for the replies.

jrod4u

We have a 120g from glasscages and almost a year and no problems. Very happy with the tank and I can say the only major thing was this puppy was heavy ;-)

wilsonreef

I bought a a 240 gallon tank with the StarFire glass in the front from glass cages. I called them several times before I bought it and they were always happy to help me with my questions. They are located in Dickson Tn. just outside of Nashville. I live in Northeas Arkansas, Have a friend who lives in Nashville, so when it was ready, he brought it to me on one of his visits home. I drilled 12 holes in mine for bulkheads and thought it would be funny to call them and ask them would it void my warranty. You can guess the answer. The warranty is for 90 days. (without so many holes lol) Really I haven't had any problems at all, and a heck of a good price....I wanted my overflows (2) in the corners which was no problem for them and it didn't cost extra. I would have put the starfire glass in the front too except that this is in a wall, and I didn't want to be able to see through it so I painted the rest of the glass black.
Give them a call, I don't think you'd be sorry.
One other thing, if you'll go to their website, or call they will let you know when a truck is coming to a town near you, and you can pick it up there or they will crate it up and send it directly to you. Just be sure you have a lot of help, because these things are extremely heavy.
Carl

t316

Glasscages =

I have a 280 starphire that I have had no problems with. Agree with previous posters that they are not the best customer service reps (actually a bunch of rednecks like me), but they delivered what they said they would, at the price they said they would.
I would recommend.

rlablan

T316- Thanks so much. Appreciate the feedback.
Wilsonreef- Thanks! Good info in this post. I found it really helpful. They told me there is a truck coming to my area in march. But I think I may just have them crate it right to my door. We have bought smaller cars and got rid of our larger SUVs, since we are moving to the city and they just won't cut the mustard. Do you know if that costs anything extra? And if so, by like how much? Thanks!
Cryptkeeper- Thank you. I will look into them. I was under the impression that tenacor (sp?) was only acrylic? But I will google them and see what's up.
Jrod4u- Thanks. So by heavy... you mean?? Like how many people did it take to move??
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
2 MORE QUESTIONS
1- everyone says they are heavy. If I just hire like regular furniture movers, would 2 or three big dudes be able to move it like my couch/washer-dryer... ?? We are trying to not hire movers... Can we just use a furniture dolly and move it like that? We have moved ALL of our tanks... Is it that much heavier? Also, we will be living on the 21st floor, but there is a large service elevator... So It would really be just getting it into the elevator and then in the door, about 40 feet.
2- I am probably just going to order the stand from them. They gave me a good price to finish the stand and canopy out on ALL 4 SIDES. Have any of you gotten stands from them? Are they good quality? decent wood? Nice hinges? Good joints?
Thank you so much guys! This is REALLY REALLY helpful!
Rae

rlablan

Also, since there is a change for issues with them...
I figured that I would put it on my AMEX card and if I need help getting through if something is wrong, I will let the AMEX lawyers deal with it.
I thought this would work pretty well, better than a money order or a debit card.
Other than that... this all sounds pretty good to me.
1 more thing... I am debating the black or clear silicone. Is there an advantage to this?
The stain on the stand (pretty sure) will be a darker brown, with a hint of cherry... maybe even a mahogany. (My apartment is filled with many leather bound books and smells of rich mahogany.
)
so is there an advantage to the black or is it just for the look?
Thanks,
Rae