glass covers ?

wcstegmd

i recently set up a 110 gallon reef tank. the tank came with glass covers. i read that a reef tank shouldn't use glass covers because these decrease tank oxygenation. any comments out there ?

indy1

I had to take my glass tops off to keep temps down. Haven't really noticed a differenece in evap. rate

thebatcave

The lid will help to controll temp. and keep fish from jumping out.It can also serve to slow evaporation. Reef Ranger is wrong about the wet/dry. It is not needed on a reef tank, there are many options to look at. I wouldn't use it on a reef, I have one on my fish only tank though.The protein skimmer is also not always required for a reef tank.

chuck

I'm not sure what you would suggest, but I'm curious as to what is better than a wet/dry and a protein skimmer.

thebatcave

I just felt that his comment was wrong saying that you must have those types of filtration. There are other methods like the plenium, bio-wheel filters, and a lot of other types. My tanks seem to be fine without a wet/dry or a protein skimemer. I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but I don't think it is fair to give out advice like that.

chav

I have heard that glass tops reflect light thus, decreasing the efficiency of your lighting system.

dave

the glass tops certainly keep the h2o from evaporating in my tank (never had them and added 10 gallon every saturday to my 120 gallon reef tank!!!!) it has been three weeks and only had to add very little :> )! also if your lighting is too close there is a chance of your bulbs getting splashed and breaking (once again I know from experience!) so I would suggest using them! also glass, if clear does NOT affect the quality of lighting ( sorry to dispute one persons theory!) we are of course talking light, the spectrum hues will pass through, only the prisms may bend toward the glass of the tank and not directly to the bottom of it! And, the temperature may rise slightly, but not a problem if you keep an eye on it!!!!