Glass or Acrylic?

komet

Im sure that in some instances acrylic could crack or even break, like from extreme heat from lighting. This wouldnt occur though if enough space is left between light source and tank. Acrylic is not only lighter than glass but much stronger. Im really going off of my experience with glass. After researching I decided on acrylic mainly because of the strength factor. I bought my tank from Tenecor. They back their acrylic aquariums with a lifetime guaranty against breaking or leaking. That really doesnt do me any good though if it does break and I lose everything!!

Acrylic is several times stronger than glass.
It will not shatter, crack, or leak like glass can.
Acrylic is clearer than glass. Glass has slight green tint.
Colors and shapes look sharper and brighter in acrylic aquariums. Acrylic also allows
better penetration of your system lighting, which is especially important for reef systems.
Acrylic insulates better than glass.
Acrylic controls water temperature fluctuations, one of the primary reasons for fish
stress, disease, and death. Glass conducts heat and cold causing more fluctuations.
Acrylic seams are stronger than glass.
Acrylic seams are molecular bonds and actually stronger than the acrylic itself. Silicone
seams used on glass aquariums can dry out and weaken over time.
Acrylic seams are visually superior to glass.
Acrylic seams are polished and nearly invisible. Silicone seams
are clearly visible and have been known to discolor when exposed to certain fish
medications.
Acrylic is easily refinished.
If glass scratches it can not be repaired. Acrylic can be repaired with a variety of scratch
removal kits. Even internal scratches can be repaired without removing the fish or water.
got it from aquadirect, my question is I know acrylic is thicker than glass but other besides that how can you tell them apart?

spankr

Acrylic is as clear is glass, and even moreso. All glass will give you a green hue that cannot be taken out. I agree acrylic is good, but trying to remove coraling from a acrylic tank will most likely scratch it. For reef tanks the only way to go is Glass.
Just my 2 cents
The only thig is that most scratches in acrylis can be taken out. There is no way to remove a scratch from glass.

don't forget the "bouncing kid" factor.:D :eek: and the fact that you do live in an earthquake/volcano zone. acrylic will survive and glass may not.