Glass tank cover? Canopy?

leheath

I am planning a 65g with some hardy coral, inverts, and fish, and lots of LR. I will probably go for PC lighting 4x65W (2 10K, 2 Actinic). I am planning to build my own stand, but I am not sure about a canopy. Are they a good idea, or do they create heat problems (I live in AZ and can't afford a chiller so this is an issue)? How far about the tank should the lights be (tank depth = 18")? Do people normally use a glass tank cover or does this cut down too much light? Is corrosion a problem - how do you protect the lights if you don't use the glass cover? WOuld I be better off without a canopy and with or without a glass cover? What about fish jumping out - is this a problem?
Sorry for all the questions - answers to any or all of them would be very much appreciated!!
:happyfish

coxy101

We have 4 x 95 watt (2 10K and 2 actinic) VHO (36'') lights in a closed hood (except in the back). We put a sheet of acrylic over the tank with a 3 inch clearing in the back because we have a HOB skimmer, etc. The VHOs seem to stay relatively cool in the hot weather (it's gets in the 90's in Michigan). We haven't put in any fans yet. And we get the acrylic for cheap from Home Depot/Lowes, so if it gets dirty and we're lazy - we just replace it.
HTH

sly

I had to cut a hole on the side of my canopy to mount a fan to blow through to the other side. I didn't have a major problem, but with my lighting I couldn't get the tank below 85 degrees. Now with the fan I run a pretty stable 80 degrees because the heater now kicks in to control the temp.
I only have 240watts of pc lighting. This is on a 72 gal tank under a canopy with a glass cover. Heat still built up for me without the fan. :scared:

leheath

Any other thoughts? How far above the tank should the lights be (ie. how tall do I need to make the canopy?)?
Thanks in advance,

leheath, I believe the clearence should be about 6-8" between the light and the water. Our back is opened, only a couple of braces to guide the wiring for the lighting system. We installed 2 X 4.5 " cooling fans. We tried using glass covers and built up way too much heat. Then read that we didn't need them and we took them out. the covers also took away the intensity of the spectrum in the lights.

leheath

Thanks - did you protect the lights with anything or is 6-8" enough to avoid water getting on them?

sov82

If you aren't covering the top of your tank with a glass top, what are you covering it with? Nothing? I dont have a canopy....so what would you recommend?
I think my light will break my glass top~

alison

Hi, I have almost that exact set up and it get's into the 90's in the summer here. I have 220 watt power compacts on a 60 gal. reef. I have them mounted to the canopy, and I have glass covers over the tank. Acrylic tends to bow over time from the heat, and may even melt if being placed directly on the acrylic. I just have a standard canopy from *****. Just remember salt is extremely corrosive, and coats light bulbs hugely, over time, and will make the bulbs coated, and less bright. You have to protect the lights. Just remember with the lights you are planning, you can't have ANY hard corals, they WILL just die in the long run. Just remember that if you ever want any, like brains, plates, anything like that. Good Luck and welcome to SWF!