glass top question

houns

i have a glass cover that sets flush on the top of the tank. the front panel hinges up to allow me to feed and check water levels. the light hood rests on this. apparently there is a fine spray of water being released into the air from my airstones. this water is evaporating on the glass, and a heavy layer of salt is rapidly forming on the glass. if i lose the glass, the water will spray up under the light hood, directly on the lights. i need the airstones to keep up water circulation. i'm not running an undergravel filtration system, so powerheads will do me no good. i would appreciate any suggestions. thanks

ladd

Powerheads will circulate alot more water than an pump and air stones, and you have more versitility using a powerhead. Check out the "Powerhead Question" under Reef Tanks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure your airstones are located close to the bottom of the tank. Also, airstones come with various Grades....like "fine" grade will make very tiny air bubbles and thus result in more spray like you describe. A "course" grade will creat bigger bubbles and less spray. You can also try difussing the spray by arranging your airstone so that the spray hits something in the tank before the the bubbles get to the top...like placing the stone under a rock or other tank decoration. If this fails, then lower your water level an inch or so, until the problem is resolved. Good luck!

krazzydart

the reef is right again...but do you have a skimmer, bio-filter,hydro-sponge...or what??????that all makes the water go round and round...(_)