glass top

volcom69

So i stepped on my glass top and broke it so now i have nothing on the top of my tank at all and was wondering if guys put anything there or just leave it open. I was going to take them off anyhow, so stepping on it was no big deal lol, but dont know what to put there or maybe ill build a canopy of some sort.

rainstate6

you gan leave i as an open top i did the same exact thing just make sure none of your fish are known to be jumpers I lost a purple psuedochromis due to this but IMO you get good gas transfer and evap. with out a glass lid also its alot of personal preference.

misty7850

I don't have glass top.. better gas exchange.. you do get more evaporation, I usually replace about 1 gallon per day on my 46 bow front. I just made auto top off for mine. I don't have any jumpers. I think those that do us eggrate or similar to put over their tanks.

O

oreo12

I use glass tops on 2 tanks and the white plastic that goes on the lights in the ceiling with the little squares cut outs in it on one tank. I don't see any diffrence in ethier tank except I dont get a shadow or dark spot from the hinge on the tank with out the glass top.

reefnut

Leave it open unless you have fish that are known jumpers... in which case you can use egg crate to cover it. The tank needs to breath...

O

oreo12

Originally Posted by ReefRobert
I step on my too, for a 20 gal long. I just replaced it and I leave that back plastic section off.
I treid to take that black plastic hinge off the one on my 29 but it must be gled real good.

sharkbait9

Well good. it seems I’m not the only silly goose who has stepped on the glass top. It was good for me, the lfs were closed and home dept was open and I was able picked up some plastic egg crate and made a cover. Now I have great gas exchange and no one thinks about going for a long fly ball over the back wall.