glass tops?

coralreefer

i hate the evaporation when there is no top
i removed my glass tops after reading a thread. is there any kind of top that i could use that would allow light to get to my inverts and also reduce evaporation?
any help is greatly needed

p.s. im out of water

row

I have heard of people using something like an egg carton, not the styrofoam kind, but the card board kind. I have an open top, was told not to use glass also and just didnt like the idea of having egg cartons on the top of my tank.

earlybird

Topping off is just part of this hobby. Seriously, how hard is it to top off? I have a 29g with good circulation and I top off 1/3 gallon twice a day but I walk past my tank and stop to look a lot more than that. You can also look into auto top off systems.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by earlybird
http:///forum/post/2537477
Topping off is just part of this hobby. Seriously, how hard is it to top off? I have a 29g with good circulation and I top off 1/3 gallon twice a day but I walk past my tank and stop to look a lot more than that. You can also look into auto top off systems.

Topping off is definitely part of the hobby. I top off a gallon a day on my 75.

readster

i hear ya on that one, they evaporate like crazy with no top, to answer your question about the egg crate, it will stop your fish from jumping out of the tank, but will not stop evaporation at all.

C

cosmokramer

Well, I'm not sure why your Inverts have special light needs.... I would be more worried about my corals.
Either way, get a simple Auto Top Off system. Fill it every couple of days, and you're good to go. Also, you can later on add kalk to your auto top off and use it to dose.
How big is your tank?

drtash

I use egg crates. ITs the greatest thing. Bought it from home depot in the lighting section. Used my scroll saw to cut it to shape.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by coralreefer
http:///forum/post/2539007
cosmo, corals are inverts

does eggcrate reduce evaporation even a little?
Nope, the purpose of using the eggcrate is to enable evoporation to occur. Helps to cool the tank. If you want to slow down evaporation, go back to your glass top.

salt monger

now something to observe with egg crate..... look at how much light it reflects onto the walls and ceilings, that is lost wattage that is not making it to the tank... i'm trying to think of some type of creative alternative that would look nice also

fishycpa

Originally Posted by salt monger
http:///forum/post/2539090
now something to observe with egg crate..... look at how much light it reflects onto the walls and ceilings, that is lost wattage that is not making it to the tank... i'm trying to think of some type of creative alternative that would look nice also
egg crate helps to "narrow the spread of light". Not only does it allow for better gas exchange and keeps you fish inside, it helps to direct light down.