glasscages.com ... anyone use them ?

came across glasscages.com anyone use them ? they seem to have very good pricing on big tanks .
looking at there glass tanks . dont know if i can talk myself into acrylic .
thanks !

stdreb27

From reading about it, talking to people who've purchased and used them and seeing them. Basically, buy it if you're will to get something slightly different than what you ordered, a little sloppy craftsmanship and basically as is no follow up support. Then go for it.

t316

I have a 280 gal. starphire glass from them. No problems ordering, getting what I ordered, and they met me at a show they were doing in the area for pickup so I wouldn't have to pay shipping. Agree that customer service is not on the high-end, but more due to that fact that they are a "tell it like it is" mom/pop operation. They are not telemarketers that are trying to pursuade you. My conversations on the phone gave me the impression that they are a fast paced manufacturing facility that expects you to know what you want. They will gladly answer questions, but don't take a lot of time to sweet talk you. Good product IMO.
Just my experience...

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3145181
From reading about it, talking to people who've purchased and used them and seeing them. Basically, buy it if you're will to get something slightly different than what you ordered, a little sloppy craftsmanship and basically as is no follow up support. Then go for it.
lol . i posted this then did a good search and found what guys are saying .
personally i dont care if the customer service is 100% perfect as long as they are concentrating on a good product if you know what i mean . not everyone is a sales man . atleast thats what i tell my customers . i tell them flat out im not a salesman im a fabricator i can tell you my opinion . it may or may not be what you want to hear but its going to be the truth
i gotta think about this . they have 375 for around 2k . thats not that bad . hmmm desicions decisions ... whats a guy to do .

J

jetskiking

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3145181
Same thing here. I have also heard that if you cant go pick it up then don't get it. Some people love them %%

i cant make the trip to tenn to get it .but they are having a truck up this way in like 3 weeks to deliver them . and since the tanks are paid in full its one of those things i guess where if its great you take it . and if its not great you still take it ?

t316

Originally Posted by camaroboy8691
http:///forum/post/3145191
i cant make the trip to tenn to get it .but they are having a truck up this way in like 3 weeks to deliver them . and since the tanks are paid in full its one of those things i guess where if its great you take it . and if its not great you still take it ?
If you are worried about damage, don't be. They are traveling with a whole truck load of aquariums when they go to a show. It took us 20 min. inside their truck just to get the packaging off of mine so I could see it

If you are worried about not getting what you ordered, can't help you there. I have not heard this complaint. The exact dimensions are right there on their site. I did have some clarification questions, and they answered them, so I got exactly what I was expecting.
The complaints I have heard were related to some thread on here a year or two ago. I think one person had their's leak, so it became a bashing thread towards the company
I'm not taking up for them, if mine leaked I'd be screaming too, but that thread was really a slam towards glasscages.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/3145186
lol . i posted this then did a good search and found what guys are saying .
personally i dont care if the customer service is 100% perfect as long as they are concentrating on a good product if you know what i mean . not everyone is a sales man . atleast thats what i tell my customers . i tell them flat out im not a salesman im a fabricator i can tell you my opinion . it may or may not be what you want to hear but its going to be the truth
i gotta think about this . they have 375 for around 2k . thats not that bad . hmmm desicions decisions ... whats a guy to do .
You've also got to understand, I've had a tank go. (Jebo tank my fault) Personally, I wouldn't go cheap. Considering what it is going to end up costing for a large tank, another grand or 2 for basically the most important part, isn't that bad.
But that being said. One of my neighbors has a 150 gallon glass cages tank. He's had it for years. But it wasn't exactly what he had ordered. Wrong color for the over flow, black instead of blue. No biggy, not worth returning and stuff. The silicone needed to be cleaned up a bit. Looked like someone had some on his thumb then smudged the glass in a few spots. And the beads weren't very neat. The thing that really bugged me. Was that one of the corners was slightly chipped. Nothing major, has held for several years. It didn't leak. And it was half the price of anything else. So check on what really matters it holds water.
So back to what I've said, If you're willing to take on some risk that is reflected in the pricing. Go for it.

J

jetskiking

http:///forum/post/3145191
Thats exactly why I would not use them. If you can travel there you can refuse the tank but if they deliver you cant. Also I have heard horror stories about the delirvery. Them changing times last minute. Or calling on a day that wasn't even scheduled and saying "we are here now you have thirty minutes to meet me".
I also have a friend that opened a LFS using tanks all built by them. They kept trying to reschedule his delivery when he already had people there waiting to unload the truck. Keep in mind he ordered a whole truck of aquariums and they are only three hours away. He had to put his foot down but is satisfied with the quality of the tanks.

pontius

I had a 65 gallon that I ordered from them and had delivered. used it as a sump/filtration in-stand. never had the first problem with it.

with the bigger tanks in glass what should the glass thickness be ? if i do order a tank from them it will be 96 x 36 x 25 tall my oceanic is like 1/2 thick and its only a 70 gal tank .
just curious i know this is something i should ask them but its nice to see what others are

ironeagle2006

I know on the 450 I am ordering in a couple years that the Acrylic is 3/4 of an inch on the sides all the way around and 1/2 on the top and bottom.

coastie81

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/post/3145331
I know on the 450 I am ordering in a couple years that the Acrylic is 3/4 of an inch on the sides all the way around and 1/2 on the top and bottom.
anyone ever bought any of there stands or canopies? want to know how there quality in workmanship is?

shogun323

I had them make a custom acrylic tank for my ole Mantis. I had no problems although the work was quite sloppy.

oceandude

I have bought several rimless ones for frag tanks and they are great. On the other hand, I have heard some real horror stories on some of the other type tanks they sell.
I wait until they come to the Raleigh area to pick them up off the truck.
The owner is way cool and likes to make things right if there is a problem.

snakeblitz33

I have always thought of starting up an acrylic aquarium business "Acrylic Works by Design." something like that - for specialty aquariums. I'll kick it around in my head for a few more years. May retire from teaching and do that. lol.