Gloves or No Gloves???

mweezy05

Just a question to see how everyone handles things inside their tanks. Whether it is placing new coral or rock or just rearranging things.
Do you use gloves or not? Why?

bronco300

usually in the tank i don't....when i frag zoos I will because of the possibility of toxins...and honestly I probably should inside as well, just don't...but always wash my hands afterwards.

I probably would wear gloves but Ive never seen long ones that would go over my whole arm. It would be nice so the salt doesn't dry out my skin or to take the edge off puffer bits

alix2.0

i always wear gloves because
1) i am afraid of bristle worms.
2) i dont want anything that might be on my hands getting into the tank.
in that order.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by Thoroughbred
I probably would wear gloves but Ive never seen long ones that would go over my whole arm. It would be nice so the salt doesn't dry out my skin or to take the edge off puffer bits

they sell the long PVC gloves at places like pet supply plus. theyre pretty cheap and they last forever.

dawman

I always wear aqua gloves when my hand goes into my tanks . I don`t want anything from my hands to contaminate the water . The aqua glove go up to my shoulders and work great .

pastor b.

Dear hobbyist ,there was a time when I'd put my hands into the tank without worry ,but when I found that there are bristle worms ,copepods and many other small untamed creatures within live rock ,sand and inside established filters , I quickly brought some gloves . Also , whenever your hands are inside your aquarium for a prolonged time , hard corals can easily cut through your skin .

monkdaily

iam alergic to wearing a glove
but in all seriously i just scrub and wash my whole arm b4 and after getting inside the tank and keep one eye on my puffer and one on my lion

daayda3

I wear a long one cause I allways brush agaist my frogspawn... last time I hit it I got stung a little... nothing major but I dont want to do it again

bjoe23

can u just use those cheap gloves that come in the boxes? and where do u get gloves that go up to ur elbow?

alix2.0

Originally Posted by bjoe23
can u just use those cheap gloves that come in the boxes? and where do u get gloves that go up to ur elbow?

you can just make sure its the unpowdered kind they use in hospitals. and you can get the elbow kind at your LFS.

saltymac

I dont wear gloves, but Im also not scared of worms, even though they do sting. I will get a little jumpy when my coral cat (venemous) gets too close checking out my hand for food. Ive been stung before, I always self medicate and its all better....................

ducky

I never wear gloves even though I have a fireworm that looks like a sea serpent now and I inevitably have several spines in my hands after handling the rock. I have never had any reaction to my corals or even anemones.