Glowfish?

dinogeorge

I think most of those types of critters are deep sea animals that don’t survive the trip to the surface, but I could be wrong. I do know that under ultraviolet light, a number of inverts are phosphorescent.

toeknee

I actually had "Glofish" the enginered fish in my freshwater setup. they would glow under atinic light.

keri

On this note (and not to hijack the thread) but... what happens if you put a blacklight on your tank?

jonthefishguy

Originally Posted by reeffreak9
flame scallops emit a light in kind of sparks.
Just so you know, flame scallops DO NOT emit a light. They only seem to. It actually is a flap (like an eye lid) that covers and uncovers a bright white stripe. When this happens, it looks like it is lighting up. But it is only showing you the white stripe underneath the red for split second which looks like a spark.

ophiura

There are several animals that bioluminesce, but none suitable for a standard tank. All would need species tanks, and frankly even if you did it, they would be, frankly, very boring in short order.
Flashlight and pinecone fish are two of the more common types, but again, not suitable for typical tanks.
There are several bioluminescent animals, such as the small hitch hiker brittlestar Amphipholis squamata. But these are often defensive behaviors that are things you would likely not see unless you were looking in the right place at exactly the right time.
There are (unfortunately, IMO) bioengineered fish - I believe zebra danios (a freshwater fish - you may remember more Jon...) that "glow" due to the insertion of a gene.

jonthefishguy

Yeah, I remember those. That was about maybe 4 yrs ago (2003) I think. There was a big stir up of controversy because of the fact that it is illegal to genetically modify anything without FDA approval. They got involved because the protein was removed from jellyfish that produced bioluminescnece and was inserted in the fish but the protein was considered a drug and that made it illegal. Bunch of lawsuits were filed and the FDA did their study and said that since it wasnt for human consumption and they didnt see it any different that the original danios that were being sold forever in the trade, that there was no reason to ban it. I think they came out of Austin TX. And now if you go to some pet stores you will see them in the various colors of red,yellow,orange. Personally I like them now than I did then. They were not as colorful back then and now they stand out. I think the original reason for the color change was something to do with pollution. But it is illegal to have them in California....so is caulerpa by the way.