Glue ?

misfit

I have a problem The impeller on my aqua medic pump ocean runner 2500 broke.I have glued it with super glue 3 times now and does not want to hold to well only holds for a few days, tried to get replacement from LFS but just found out aqua medic burnt down.Been searching on line at places and all parts pumps ect are back ordered.Is there a glue besides super glue that is safe for my tank and needs to bond the magnet to plastic.

littlebuck

have you tried super glue gel? or silicone i dont know if that would work but i know they sell it at lowes and it holds up on tanks.

chipmaker

Unfortuneately the material they make the impellers from does not lend itself to being glued back together very well with any glues. Impellers are usually made from nylon, PP or PE pr in some cases PVC. NOne of the first three are able to be satisfactorily glued togehter, and usually on the PVC impellers there is not much surface area to get a suffiiciently strong bond that will hold up. If its just the maagnet thats come off, try roughing up the plastic the magnet is adhered to, with some coarse sandpaper, so it has a bit of tooth to grip on the adhesive with, and try either some marine goop, or the 2 part plastic epoxy made by Devcon and sold in Wally World or Big box stores. It has two siamese syringes, which dispense the required amount of both parts simultaneously. It smells pretty foul, but once its cured, it is inert and will not hurt anything. But even if it does stay for a period of time I would view it as a bandaid repair.

misfit

yes tried the gel, and silicone I dont think will hold up to the torque of the motor.The super glue bonds to the plastic with no problem its the magnet part which the glue done not hold up to.I need like a 2 part epoxy or something,does anyone know if J B weld is good for tanks.But thanks anyway

littlebuck

jb weld has alot of chemicals in it. I wouldnt use it on the tank. Look and see if you can get something that is no toxic. I dotn know if that gorilla glue will work but i think thats no toxic.

misfit

Thanks chipmaker.Of course you must have submitted your reply while i was typing my lest message. I have tried the rough up the magnet end but super glue does not stick well no matter what,I was thinking if drilling like four 0.015 holes on an angle about 0.0625 deep and then filling it up with glue to see what happens.I have a 2 part epoxy From the home depot will have to dig it up and see who its made by, If not by devcon i will get it or should i say have to get it,cause i have no choice what a pain in the a** to pull the whole protein skimmer apart to glue it.which glue would you say works best.

chipmaker

If yo can drill some some small holes in plastic and magnet it would give more "tooth" to grip , but it may work against you in drilling the magnet as some are pretty darn hard or drilling holes can alter their magnetism fields. How thatw ould affect it is anyones guess. I think what I would do is if yu can not find the Plastic Epoxie made by Devcon.......I would probably opt for MArine Goop, as I have had that stuff stick on all kinds of stuff, albeit not a super duper bond but stuck just the same. Clean surfaces good, and make sure its dry. Shoe goop is similar to marine goop....and what thew differences is I do not know, but MArine Goop has been holding various plastic items together in my setups for quite some time... Don't know how it will react with centrifugal forces applied and the magnets either, but what do you have to loose. I would give it a try and see what happens. Also make sure it is fuly cured before reinstalling it. Drilling holes in the plastic at an angle is a good idea, and would help, and epoxy should stick to most types of magnets. Look for the white expoxie as it does not contain any metallics in it like JB weld does, if you go with another type of epoxie.
All epoxy has a foul odor to them when curing, but once cured they basically are inert, and shold not pose any problems. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

misfit

Chipmaker thaks alot
wil try later on and let you know
Its better then buying a 70 pump right now