gobies question!

S

sonicboom1

I was at my LFS today seeing tons of gobies and on here and wanted to know if mixing them would be okay and such, they are all listed on here as very nice fish and all but I was just wondering and what would be good..
I like the Green Mandarin Dragonet, jawfish, pair of purple firefish, and maybe a yellow watchman goby. Now I know they are most off bottom dwellers and love the sand and rocks but they are amazing so I wanted to know if they would be ok with eachother or not?
Any info/ideas would be appreciated, Thanks! :jumping:

puffer32

You don't want to get a mandrin fish unless you have a very large tank with lots of LR. They have a strict diet.

reefnut

The Green Mandarin "Dragonet" is not a goby, it is a Dragonet and needs a endless supply of live food to survive.
Stay away from sand sifting gobies also. Otherwise, most gobies are great additions.

S

sonicboom1

yeah i read its not a goby it was just under that catagory on here so I just listed it as that. So they need lots of room I guess that wont work with me currently maybe next time..
stay away from sand sifting gobies such as the jawfish? whats wrong with them :notsure:

reefnut

The Jawfish is not a sand sifter... the Diamond (Sleeper) Goby is an example of a sand sifter.

rickd

Originally Posted by ReefNut
The Jawfish is not a sand sifter... the Diamond (Sleeper) Goby is an example of a sand sifter.
I love mine hes cool whats wrong with them

snipe

Not lots of room just lots of rock.
I would get some of the other gobies like the watchman or the short and fat ones what are they called? Clown gobie thats it.

glnzoffun

I have a bar goby and I love him! So do my cats! He is a lot larger than most I have seen in the stores, and in my tank, his colors are very vivid! He definitely has a personality

S

sonicboom1

i know ill have a pair of purple firefish then i want yellow watchman goby and maybe a jawfish

celacanthr

well technically jawfish aren't gobies and if you get one you need a tight fitting lid a deep sand bed with suger size grains. the reason why is that they are diggers and make huge underground tunnels and such.

celacanthr

oh, yeah fish man i think what everyone says is wrong with sand sifters is that they eat the good stuff in your sand and move it around alot but if you have alot of sand I dont believe there is a problem w/ them just my .02 cents im not saying im right im just saying that is my best guess.

S

sonicboom1

ahh thanks, Im not going to be using that kind of sand so I guess I will pass on the jawfish and look around for some more bottom dwellers..

snipe

Nothin wrong with sand sifters just they seem to try and burrie rocks and corals on the sand bed.

meadbhb

Hiya,
I've got a watchman, clown and sailfin goby. Out of all of them, my sailfin has been the most entertaining. He's taken up residence in an abandoned Turbo shell. He's a really good eater and protects his shell from everyone.
My watchman and clown would be cool if I'd see them more often. However, they're new to the tank, so that may be why.
Meadbhb

reefnut

Sand sifting Goby and other sand sifters eat beneficial micro critters from the sand bed. A simple search and a little READING will tell you all you want to know. :sleepy:

snipe

So like cukes will eat all that stuff to? If so then I might just get a sand sifting star.