goby/blennie bio load?

rex taylor

Do gobbies and blennies add to the bio load?
Can I have as many as I want?
Thankps have a 150 with lots of LR
3 percs
2 gobs
2 small blue tangs
1 yellow tang
1 lawnmower
3 chromies
3 shrimp
assorted snails and crabs
3 fire fish

jacksonpt

Yes, all fish add to the bioload, some more than others. My mandarin added very little to my bioload, but my bi-color blenny adds quite a bit, especially for his size.

spsfreak100

Hey Rex,
I think your tank is already stocked to its limits. Those fish will grow big, esspecially considering the blue tang growing to almost 12" when fully matured. Your biological load seems a bit on the heavy, so I would lay off on the blenny. Every fish and invertibrate will produce some sort of bio-load to the tank, increasing it is increasing the nitrates in your tank. Adding a DSB or refugium would help with this, but probably won't eliminate it.
Graham :)

rex taylor

Hi Grahm,
Thanks for the info. I do believe you are right.
When the blue tang gets bigger and you get another tank I'll give you one.
Come over and look at my tank set up one day. I would like your advice on lighting and tank temp.
Are you using icecap fans? I now have a computer fan blowing across the water. So far ok with the light I have but only 200 watts now.
Rex

spsfreak100

Thanks for the offer with the blue tang, but I wouldn't want one. I have one currently in an 80 gallon for over a year, and by the time I upgrade to a larger tank, it would only be enough for one tang. Here's a picture of mine (No, this is not Head & Lateral Line Erosion, but a close-up of his 'freakles'):

As for the fans, I actually am not sure at the moment. I got them from Murray, and i'm pretty sure they aren't icecap fans, but they do blow quite a bit of strong air.
Also, what are you planning on keeping in your 150 gallon? SPS (Small Polyp Stoney), LPS (Large Polyp Stoney), or softies? ...just for the lighting issue.

rex taylor

Hi Grahm,
I would like to get them all.
And a clam and an anoneme, however you spell it.
The more I get into this the more I like the reef stuff.
Aquatic outlet steered me wrong many times. I don't know why I keep going back.
I would like the ice cap metal halides. I understand that I will need about 600 watts. Do you agree?
I have a protien skimmer in the sump as well as a UV filter.
In the other sump I have two pumps. Water temp goes from 78 to 80. I am kind of worried about howmuch heat the MH light will generate. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Rex

spsfreak100

If you want to keep anything, you're looking at around 1,200wts total ;)
I would personally go for 2, 400wt 20,000k Radiums and a single 400wt 6,500k Iwasaki, which will be great for the more light demanding clams, which do better under a 6,500k spectrum rather than the 20k. You will not need any actinic suppliments. Heating will probably not be an issue. If you want to, you can make your own (or have someone else make you) a 12" deep canopy, which will house the halides. Also, 4, 4" NMB fans (can be bought at home depot) mounted into the canopy would really take care of the heat, so I doubt will you ever need a chiller, unless your rooms are hotter than normal.
You can go to the Reeffanatic Store, which is close by, and buy the halides. Hello Lights also sell the halides, for around the same price. The total should be around $750.00 or more for the lighting (includes reflectors, ballasts, sockets, disconnects, bulbs, etc.). 600wts really won't get you much, you wouldn't be keeping everything as healthy as it would be, with lets say 1200wts. You can get good deals here:
2, 400wt 20k Radiums:

http://www.reeffanatic.com/cgi-bin/m...LD-&type=store
1, 400wt 6500k Iwasaki Halide:

http://www.reeffanatic.com/cgi-bin/m...SL-&type=store
Remember, bulbs would be 20k 400wt radiums, and a single 400wt 6,500k Iwasaki. You don't have to order it, since the store is close by (about a half an hour away). Shipping would cost quite a bit, considering that 50lb PFO HQI ballast, as well as the other ballast. This lighting is outstanding, and you would be able to keep nearly everything (The reason I say nearly, is because some corals just don't survive in captivity. Lighting won't get you instant success, although it will help).
Also, leave off on the anemone. They have horible survival in captivity, and most don't live longer than 3 months. If you have to get one, I would wait until your tank is older than 6 months old, as well as have the proper tank conditions, inhabitants, and knowledge to care for one. I would personally go with the Bubble Tip Anemone, which seems to be doing the best of all anemones in captivity. Most of the ones you see at the pet shops are bleached (Lost their zooxanthellae, and completely white), which will be very hard to revive it. Go with a captive raised one. There are many people selling these for very cheap!
You also might want to think about a calcium reactor later on. Some people can make one for you for around $150.00. I must say, Larry (Hawkdl2, on --), makes outstanding reactors! This is not a must, but it's recommended, esspecielly for clams and small polyp stoney corals (SPS). You might not even need the UV sterilizer in your tank. While it is getting rid of some harmfull things, it will also get rid of good things, such as pods, some worms, etc.
As for the Aquatic Outlet deal, I cannot agree with you more!!!! Over priced equiptment, bad advice, bad livestock, etc.
I attached a picture of a High Grade Crocea clam, which you will easily be able to keep under your lighting (as well as good calcium levels, good nitrate levels, steady temp/salinity/pH) :)

rex taylor

Hi Grahm,
I am printing out your last post and I will save it.
I am going to start saving for those lights.
They are expensive, however, without strong lighting and clean water you just limit yourself so much from many of the pleasures of this hobby.
Thanks for taking the time to write the lenghty post. I really appreciate it.
Hope to talk to you in person soon and I would like to see your tank someday.
Thanks again,
Rex

spsfreak100

Hey, if you want I can bring over some shrooms sometime as your first (or second/third/forth/so on...) coral. I have many growing in my tank that I want to get rid of, and they would do nicely in your tank, even under your current lighting. They grow like crazy, and are Bulls Eye Shrooms. I have a rock with about 5 shrooms, and another rock with about 14 shrooms, just know they will grow. To get the best coloration and growth, I would place them on the upper half of the tank. I can't wait to see your tank!
Ok, here's yet another picture (of the shrooms I was talking about)

rex taylor

Hi Grahm,
That would be just great, I look forward to you looking at the tank and making some suggestions. I don't really trust anything I've heard from our LFS and I think you know who I mean.
BTW, what temp do you keep your tank at? An d where are you getting your top off water and saltwater from? Do you mix it or are you using ocean water? Do you have a RO/DI unit?
Talk to you soon.
Rex

spsfreak100

The temperature is currently around 78-82, which is ideal for most reef dwelling livestock.
For water top offs, I do it the hard way- Grtting 5 gallons of distilled water every 3 days. It's expensive, but worth it. I don't have an RO/DI unit yet, but am looking for one at a fair price. For saltwater, I go to my LFS (It's in culver city, called Apex Aquariums. Not the best livestock, but their advice is awesome) to get prepared saltwater, I hate making my own in these 50 gallon tubs. I rarely buy saltwater, so IMO, it's worth it to just buy it, but it really depends on your tank size, and how many water changes you do.