going difficult

ratpack

well after learning the hard way. many lost and many bad day. after almost 2 year a decide to go a step farder. right now im only have 2 anthias, a school of 3 crscent damsels, 1 green dragonet and a pair of tomato clown fish(4 sale). well this is about to change. here is my fish list that will be in my tank in a month
Tricolor anthias(pair) already in teh tank
Dragonet - already in the tank
Onyx True Percula Clownfish(pair) to come
Moorish Idol - yes the imposible fish
i know im going for something many people will tell me not to. and i totally understand since im aware of the difficulty of the Moorish. that why i have spend 6 month trying to get the best water parameter and keep the there. and after watching there behavior and taking care of them at a LFS for 3 month in the LPS frag tank. im going for it.
of course im getting the one i have been taking care at the LFS.
i just want your opinion(good or bad) every comment count and if you had any experiecen with them in a reef tank that will be cool to share.

iamcrazy

where are u gettin the onyx true percs from?? ive been dying to get my hands on a pair as well:thinking:

ratpack

that why i put "looking for" the only place that i have find them in pair is Live Aquaria, but they cost about $120, but you have to make a special other since they dont have them in teh site. but im trying to get a pair from my LFS but we havent been able to get them since the distributor dont have them in a basic daily. so it gonna have to be a special orther to

spsfreak100

If you have been seeing the Morish Idol eating and acting normally, then I would go for it. How big is your tank and how much rockwork do you have?
Graham

ratpack

the tank is going to be a 120 with 140lbs of LR, only 1" of sand.
well i have been taking care of this idol for 3 month. and he is heating very well, he is not picking at any coral, wich was my main concern since this is going to be a Reef tank including SPS and LPS.
to be sincerly it was easier get the idol to eat than my anthias. i have about 10 diferents stuff for them and at the moment they eat whatever i put in the tank, but whe i firts got them it was a pain in the:yes:
then my 55 will be the sump for the 120g, and the 20g sump will be the fuge.why going with this setup. first water volume, quality and maintenace sicne the water evaporation in a 55g sump will be much less than in a 20g

jam marine

Good luck with the moorish idol,i had one for about 2 years,but we had to part he started eating my zoanthids,and nipping at other corals:rolleyes:

gregm779

I just put one in my 125 reef last night but haven't had him eat yet, he is acclimating well. What did you get him to eat first at the LFS?

iamcrazy

Originally posted by RatPack
that why i put "looking for" the only place that i have find them in pair is Live Aquaria, but they cost about $120, but you have to make a special other since they dont have them in teh site. but im trying to get a pair from my LFS but we havent been able to get them since the distributor dont have them in a basic daily. so it gonna have to be a special orther to

they have em on live aquaria under the collectors corner occasionally but its 200 and they only sell them in mated pairs. think it was bangguy who told me that someone on reefcentral breeds tehm and sells baby ones for 70 each. but i never really got around to asking on that forum. i wish my lfs wasnt so expensive otherwise id ask tehm about placing a special order too
if you do find a website besides live aquaria that sells them let me know!! knight2811@yahoo.com

ophiura

Well, I will post a reply I've posted many times, about one that I had experience with....

[hr]
This is my experience with a Moorish Idol, which arrived at the LFS I worked at in a shipment they were asked to receive due to weather delays. The store never carries or sells moorish idols - they never even tried to sell this one.
It arrived. Owner said: "It will be dead, soon."
Week ended. Moorish idol alive.
Next few weeks, same story.
Moorish Idol eats everything put into the tank...nibbles on LR, brine, any frozen diet sponge based or not, nori, even pellets and flakes.
But owner keeps the mantra: "it will be dead, soon"
Months pass. System crashes. Idol survives. Eats everything. Looks fantastic.
More months pass and one owner of the store realizes, well, heck, might as well design a display around it because this one is a survivor.
Idol put in with Majestic angel. Idol beats the crap out of it, and any other fish put in with it.
Eats like a champ. You name it.
Other owner still says, "it will be dead, soon."
One day, over a year later.
Idol dead. (Still looked good)
Sponge diets and all. Contant fresh supply of LR and all. Eating anything and everything. Surviving system crash that took out far tougher fish. Beating the crap out of others. One healthy Idol. Dead, like nearly all the others.
One owner was right. Because he knew the fate of the majority of idols that enter the trade.

[hr]

ratpack

Originally posted by ophiura
Well, I will post a reply I've posted many times, about one that I had experience with....

[hr]
This is my experience with a Moorish Idol, which arrived at the LFS I worked at in a shipment they were asked to receive due to weather delays. The store never carries or sells moorish idols - they never even tried to sell this one.
It arrived. Owner said: "It will be dead, soon."
Week ended. Moorish idol alive.
Next few weeks, same story.
Moorish Idol eats everything put into the tank...nibbles on LR, brine, any frozen diet sponge based or not, nori, even pellets and flakes.
But owner keeps the mantra: "it will be dead, soon"
Months pass. System crashes. Idol survives. Eats everything. Looks fantastic.
More months pass and one owner of the store realizes, well, heck, might as well design a display around it because this one is a survivor.
Idol put in with Majestic angel. Idol beats the crap out of it, and any other fish put in with it.
Eats like a champ. You name it.
Other owner still says, "it will be dead, soon."
One day, over a year later.
Idol dead. (Still looked good)
Sponge diets and all. Contant fresh supply of LR and all. Eating anything and everything. Surviving system crash that took out far tougher fish. Beating the crap out of others. One healthy Idol. Dead, like nearly all the others.
One owner was right. Because he knew the fate of the majority of idols that enter the trade.

[hr]

i did a search here for some story and your was the first one i read and im notice about this. moorish idol are 50/50. you may be looky you might not. the only reason i took this desityion is because im getting one that i have take care of it since he was liittle (2" now it has almost double his size). the lFS dont carry them but they do keep some of them in a big frag coral they have. and they will only sell them to people with good tank and almost "perfecte" water Q. and before you buy the they will be in the LFS for almost 2-3 month until they can guarantine the fish is eating, is active, and it is healthy. i wish i can do. it is a goal that i have and i will be there 24/7 to try for it.

ophiura

I wish you luck with it. Part of the reason they are doing well may no doubt be that they are in a coral tank with free room to graze. But I give my story just to warn people that simply because they are doing great for some time does not necessarily mean they will be a sure bet. For whatever reason, even those that survive the initial loss, often die unexpectedly some time after a year, with no reasonable explanation - no reduction in feeding or change in behavior. So I would not give this fish anything close to a 50/50 survival.