Going for a 2nd tank, advice on the size??

crazyzeus1

We currently have a 100gal tank in my hubby's office & want to put in another reef tank somewhere in the family room area. Money is no issue, and I have had great luck with the 100gal tank & keeping the water quality good. I'm afraid of the Nano type cubes & how fast they can crash...
So, for a living room area, what size tank would you put in??

squidd

If you have the room...(next to the room)...Think about an "In Wall" tank...
Then supported in the back (fish room) you could go say 6' long (side to side) and 24" tall (viewing...But you could go 4' or so in depth (front to back) and bring in tremendous amounts of 3D effect to Aquascape...(ala Steve Weast)

crazyzeus1

There is one place (above our fireplace--which NEVER gets turned on anyway & is ventless) that would be perfect for an in-wall tank. There's a large closet behind that wall that could house equipment, but the top of the tank would be about 8ft in the air, and I fear that feeding & maintenance would be nearly impossible.
I think we'd have to go with something on a stand. I have also seen round, tall tanks in the LFS...anyone know if those are hard to maintain or if there are special problems to take into consideration with that type of tank??

maeistero

with a round tall tank your fish won't have a lot of swimming area. most fish would rather have the lateral surface area than go up and down. i just bought a 46 or so gallon hex that was a seahorse tank. there are a few options for these types of tanks, but a 300 or so traditional would probably make you happier. if money was no object to me i'd personally do a huge wavefront shark tank.