Going from Fish Only to Coral

wisconsinc

I've had my fish only talk setup and running for over 5 years now. I moved to a new house a year and a half ago and am since having a big alge problem. I'm guessing it's the well water. I don't know what kind of alge it is but it covers every surface in a black blanket. It is very easy to remove, but comes back quickly.
I talked to the guy at the lfs and he sold me a bunch of snails, a few hermits and a lawnmower bleenie. This has really helped and I'm going back tomorrow for more snails and crabs.
I'd also really like to try my hand at some inverts. Specifically, I think a clown and anemone would be fun. This is why I'm posting. What do I need to attempt this? I'm guessing more lighting and a powerhead or two?
I'd like to get this alge problem more in control before I make this purchase. Also, I have used copper in the past, but have since tore down my aquarium for the move and it was a couple years ago.
Oh, I was also thinking of getting a couple pounds of live rock tomorrow as well.
You guys are the experts. Please help steer me in the right direction here. I don't want to spend a ton of money on my tank, but I realize I may need to open the checkbook a little.
The in's and out's:
75 gal
Emperor 400 filter with activated carbon in the extra media packs
SeaClone Protein Skimmer
40W light fixture the aquarium came with
2 15W light fixtures from my old 55 gal tank
Very thin substrate of crushed coral
Bunch of lava rock
A few fake corals
Barnacle shells
2 heaters
5 damsels
1 Yellow Tang (med/large)
1 Spotted Hawkfish (love that guy)
1 Lawnmower Blennie
2 large turbo snails
5 small snails (astrea maybe)
5 small hermit crabs
Thanks!

crazyaqua

With your water try some ro water instead of the well that might help the algae also for anemone your going to need a very high out put of light like Metal Halides or VHO's you will need several powerheads if your going reef also i would get rid of crushed coral and go with sand much better and try and get as much live rock as you can and maybe take out some of the pieces of fake coral or lava rock you have in there. But Good Luck

mikeyjer

Like some of the main points that was mentioned from the post above. You need to use better water. Anemone will require GOOD water quality!!! You will be required to use better lighting like PC's and MH's for certain anemone. Better to just go with MH's and some VHO Actinics combo. Get your algae under control first with better water quality before you move into anemone and corals. Since you have an established tank, add only around 6 lbs of Live rock to your tank every other week or once a month would be better. Cured live rock would be a better choice, or you can setup your own little live rock curing tank (or bucket). Read up on it some more before you jump into it. Good Luck! :happyfish

wisconsinc

Thanks for the tips. I think I might move into this slowly. Get a powerhead and RO unit first. Then possibly some live rock and sand.
Two followup questions:
a) Does live rock require the improved lighting?
b) Is it ok to add sand/live sand to my existing crushed coral substrate?
I'd hate to rip out that established substrate if I don't have to.
Thanks!

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by WisconsinC
Thanks for the tips. I think I might move into this slowly. Get a powerhead and RO unit first. Then possibly some live rock and sand.
Two followup questions:
a) Does live rock require the improved lighting?
b) Is it ok to add sand/live sand to my existing crushed coral substrate?
I'd hate to rip out that established substrate if I don't have to.
Thanks!
a) You don't need good lighting for live rocks.
b) You should remove Crushed Coral before adding in sand. Sand will sink underneath the crushed coral. Plus Crushed Coral is a nitrate trap if you don't clean it often enough.
Make sure you get some base rocks for the base against the glass bottom before placing sand in there, then fill the sand around the base rocks and stack your live rocks on top. :happyfish

ecoman

I just got me a ro unit.. or reverse osmosis water filtration system. It removes many things from your water, city or well water! The one I got was $150 and is good for 10 gallons per day. This will be fine once I finally get the tank filled. 10 gallons per day makes for over 8 gallons of great drinking water on top of giving me better water for the tank. I have heard of people going further into filtering their water, but I will stop at the ro myself.