Going from folr to anenomes...no corals

nsajd

I want to add anenomes to my tank as well as other live "plants". Is there anything that I should do differently from my FOLR tank?

mcbdz

You will mainly have to research the anenome you want and do what it needs. Most need lots of light and to be spot fed. Make sure it is compatable with the fish you have and keep your water para. incheck.

nsajd

What kind of lighting should I use? Right now, I use only the standard flourescent lights.

1journeyman

Haildes are the best. I prefer HQI halides over the larger single ended bulbs.
Anemones are among some of the most difficult species to keep in a tank. They are actually animals, and require specific parameters and habitat. It is also generally accepted that multiple anemones should not be kept in the same tank as they can chemically war against each other.
They need well established tanks with constant, pristine water parameters.

andy51632

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Haildes are the best. I prefer HQI halides over the larger single ended bulbs.
Anemones are among some of the most difficult species to keep in a tank. They are actually animals, and require specific parameters and habitat. It is also generally accepted that multiple anemones should not be kept in the same tank as they can chemically war against each other.
They need well established tanks with constant, pristine water parameters.
Have you tried to keep anemones? Have you had any success keeping them in a reef tank? I would like to keep them in a reef tank I am planning but seem to be alot of trouble.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by andy51632
Have you tried to keep anemones? Have you had any success keeping them in a reef tank? I would like to keep them in a reef tank I am planning but seem to be alot of trouble.
I have a lightly stocked 180 and have successfully kept a BTA for over a year. That said, because they wander, anemones are really not considered "reef safe". They can wander onto another coral and sting it badly, or even kill it.
anemones are not easy to keep. LTA and BTAs are the easiest, but even they are difficult.

L

lil_bunkie

Is there a big difference between halides and HQI halides?

1journeyman

HQIs are much smaller bulbs and therefore do not put out quite as much heat (still have to deal with heat issues however). They also must be shielded.

mie

I have a green bta and a purple codyalactic, the chemical war thing is very interesting I just discovered this last month after i had purchased both anenomes they are actually on the same large rock my maroon clown hosts the bta. and are very healthy so my question journeyman is would you be able to tell if they were waging war on eachother.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by mie
I have a green bta and a purple codyalactic, the chemical war thing is very interesting I just discovered this last month after i had purchased both anenomes they are actually on the same large rock my maroon clown hosts the bta. and are very healthy so my question journeyman is would you be able to tell if they were waging war on eachother.
Them, and/or your other corals, might start showing bad signs and start to appear dying.

spanko

An excerpt from an answer by Anthony Calfo :
Chemical Warfare" (Allelopathy)
Hi Bob, my name is Kristen, How are you?
<Anthony Calfo in your service, my dear, while Bob travels>
I've read your faq's on anemones and I have a question on something I've read in a few of them regarding what you called "chemical warfare" between anemones.
<yes... very severe in the confines of an aquarium yet difficult to observe this silent poisoning. Takes months in most cases or even more than a year to kill>
I currently have what was labeled a carpet anemone and a Haitian anemone in my thirty gallon long aquarium. I was wondering, will they kill each other? Thanks for your help, Kristen:)
<the carpet anemone is one of the most aggressive stinging animals (cnidarians) that money can buy. I think it is likely that your other anemone will dwindle slowly and die within the next year or so due to the allelopathy (chemical aggression). It is always best to keep one anemone species per tank. Best regards, Anthony>

petjunkie

I would do lots and lots of reseach into anemones, particularly the lack of success with them, they are extremely difficult and an overwhelming majority die within a year, if you fee like you are capable of properly caring for one I would try to find a bta clone from one that has split in captivity to prevent harvesting of the ocean nems.

mie

Originally Posted by spanko
An excerpt from an answer by Anthony Calfo :
Chemical Warfare" (Allelopathy)
Hi Bob, my name is Kristen, How are you?
<Anthony Calfo in your service, my dear, while Bob travels>
I've read your faq's on anemones and I have a question on something I've read in a few of them regarding what you called "chemical warfare" between anemones.
<yes... very severe in the confines of an aquarium yet difficult to observe this silent poisoning. Takes months in most cases or even more than a year to kill>
I currently have what was labeled a carpet anemone and a Haitian anemone in my thirty gallon long aquarium. I was wondering, will they kill each other? Thanks for your help, Kristen:)
<the carpet anemone is one of the most aggressive stinging animals (cnidarians) that money can buy. I think it is likely that your other anemone will dwindle slowly and die within the next year or so due to the allelopathy (chemical aggression). It is always best to keep one anemone species per tank. Best regards, Anthony>
Ok so what does it mean when they say you should only keep one SPIECIES per tank/ Would a bta and a condyalactic be ok or are they the same spiecies?

N

nereef

btas and condys are completely different species. not even from the same ocean.