Going hypo..how do I maintain pH? Please HELP!

toomanyhobbies

I am in hour 1 of going toward hyposalininty....I have sodium bicarbonate buffer but I am unclear how to use it...do I add it to the clean water going in or do I add it to my tank?

dinogeorge

I use a product called Marine Buffer from seachem. Just follow the recommended dosage and you'll have no issues. Each time you make a water change, you'll need to add it again, but test your water first.
I'm sure this site sells a full line of ph buffers that will work just as well. (I always try to support these guys, since they created this incredible forum for everyone.)
Good luck and let me know if you run into any problems.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by toomanyhobbies
I am in hour 1 of going toward hyposalininty....I have sodium bicarbonate buffer but I am unclear how to use it...do I add it to the clean water going in or do I add it to my tank?
Mix the buffer in with your RO, the longer the better (within a 48hrs span). If you know that your Ro gets a low ph reading then plan ahead and be sure the ph of the RO is at 8.2. Do not add it directly to your tank. Even if it mixes for a few hours, that is much better than adding it directly to the tank.

toomanyhobbies

well I am not going to say that going hypo was easy...it took alot more water than I anticipated but wanted to say THANK YOU for your help...the buffer worked great...I do not think that the fish even noticed I was constantly changing out the water.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by toomanyhobbies
well I am not going to say that going hypo was easy...it took alot more water than I anticipated but wanted to say THANK YOU for your help...the buffer worked great...I do not think that the fish even noticed I was constantly changing out the water.
I am very happy that all is well. If you need more help along the way, please do not hesitate to ask