Going Reef Baby!

Ok... fish only tanks are gettin pretty boring now. So far, i have all those fish and i am thinkin about taking out my lemon peel. Do you think i have the right equiptment for a reef. So far, i have 300 watts of lighting in a 180 gallon tank and im going for 520 in a week or so. So far, I have yellow polyps and others growing in the tank. THey seem to be doing fine and everything. Im taking out all of my crushed coral and buying 400 pounds of live sand from my LFS for $2 a pound. Taking out all my bioballs and adding live rock into the wet and dry sump. I have a uv sterilzer, euro-reef skimmer, and alot of ciraclation for the tank. So far, i have 150 pound and im thinkin for going for about 225-250 pounds. Do u think im rdy for it or wat? Do i need anything esle?
Any advice or anything please post or email me at lilvietxboi@yahoo.com

jlem

Post a add looking for LS in your area and you probably could get some for alot less. Is that price for wet sand or dry sand. This sight has dry sand for less than that and it's free shipping. Have you seen if your c/c has life in it if it does then just get the sand dry from this site and mix it with your c/c, after a week or so take a fish net and the net will quickly seperate the c/c from the sand. If you do this over a couple days the life in the c/c will seed the sand. The reason why I say over a few days is because the net will also remove quite abit of the larger.

its wet and real living sand. My c/c doesnt really have much in it right now so i think ill just buy 400 pounds of fresh live sand. Its not the live sand in the bags with just the bacteria, its the livesand with living stuff in it such as worms and other stuff.

entice59

i got 40lbs of live sand for 40 bucks, i know your asian... well your username says your viet, and im chinese, today i just saved myself money
bought livesand orginally for about 25 dollars a 20lb bag and talked my way to 20 bucks
liverocks, figi fully cured, 40lbs at 3.50 a lbs(cheapest in area) usually 4.00 a lb
seems like not alot of savings, but it adds up, always say, "i can buy this at _____ for way cheaper", "i dont need this", "i'll shop around and see", "if you sell me this for ___, i'll shop here a lot more often" and always act discouraged...
well today i was, MY DAD ALWAYS BUYS ON IMPULSE!!! ARRRGGGG and i say no we dont/shouldnt buy it now!! and gives me a look like i dont know anything... he always thinks that the lfs is knows better then i do... i hate shopping with him, i didnt even cycle the tank yet or even mix the saltwater and he goes on and buys the live rocks!!!! i walked out with a heater/powerheads/rocks/sand/ and conditioner. the lfs even tried talking my dad into thinking that a 65 watt pc would be fine in my tank, geez if i upgraded the light i could get 80 watts of NO lighting for 20 dollars less! man when it comes to fish, hes a sucker, i personally hate going out to lfs with him always questioning my meathods
sorry viet, for releasing out my fustration

entice59

it might be hard to find southdown around california, i couldnt find any, people from my thread said they dont really sell it on the westcoast, and i found some alternatives but if you find it, then use southdown, go to beginners forum and look for my thread
"Baserock = uncured live rock?" a lot of great info on sandbeds

My dad is also like that, but he understands me because he knows i read alot on this site. Instead of gettin 520 watts, im going with a $924.99 , 60 in" 1030 watts, which is gonna be added to my exsisting compact lights which will add up to 1250, which is almost 7 watts of light per gallon. Im also thinking about taking out my bio-balls and adding a berlin style sump with alot of LR. Im just gonna buy those bagged live sand, (200 pounds) $200 dollars, and then buy 200 pounds of the real live sand that comes from the LFS, another 200 pounds which is gonna cost me 400 dollars.

QUOTE]My dad is also like that, but he understands me because he knows i read alot on this site. Instead of gettin 520 watts, im going with a $924.99 , 60 in" 1030 watts, which is gonna be added to my exsisting compact lights which will add up to 1250, which is almost 7 watts of light per gallon.

I know, my dad was like screw it, we are gettin MH lolz. He now wants to turn my FISH ONLY TANK WITH LR to a totally new reef tank. Im changing my C/C to a DSB(4-5 inches) and then gettin i think 150 more pounds of LR, taking out my bio-balls in my W/D and adding a berlin style sump. I hope this works out... I'm not very good with reef and I am tryin to do as much reading as possible