Going Skimmerless on 20G.

gobyinpeace

I know there will be plenty of you who are skeptical about me going skimmerless, but I have been doing some research and I think I can pull it off.
First and foremost are the frequent water changes. When I do my WCs I use an airline hose and old fashioned siphoning. It works great for vacuuming as you can take your time and remove all the poop and stuff with out removing large amounts of beneficial bacteria from the sand. I have been changing a gallon or so twice weekly on my 20 and the same amount on my 10.
I use a custom made eyedropper to target feed my fish so very little food makes it to the bottom or goes uneaten. The eyedropper is also used to propel unwanted particles from my LR.
I regularly use an old boom-box antennae (ball tipped for safety) to lightly stir up the DSB and tap on plants, macro algae, etc..., freeing up slime and clinging particles. The fish are very accustomed to my poking around.
All these particles quickly collect in my filter sponge, mix with oxygen and help feed my beneficial bacterial colony. I lightly rinse the sponge weekly in leftover tank water as the filter builds up with too much material from all my poking and prodding. I also change my activated carbon monthly while doing my WC. Carbon is still a great way to remove ammonia.
I am going to utilize macro algae and plants (that most would put in a refugium) in my tank. I have selected some very cool plant and algae seedlings from the Gulf that are doing very well. One seedling in particular washed up on the beach and it looked like a single green bird feather about 2" long. This seedling is splitting off into several feathers almost daily, looks beautiful, and is pulling unwanted nutrients from the tank. I really dig the color of the red macro algae. I also have small mangrove seedlings growing in there. All are great natural filters.
My plans for this tank (20G) are to add only a few corals, shrooms polyps, etc.., blending them in a way to have a special mix of color, choosing only hardy stuff nothing too fancy. I am going to start out by adding frags and will see where it takes me.
Protein skimmers in general are still manufactured for larger tanks. They are marketed to enable aquarists to do less WCs. The good skimmers out there are not designed for smaller tanks and may actually take out too much protein robbing your corals and such from their natural food.
I enjoy the tranquility of my tank and don't want noisy equipment. I am going to rely heavily on good old mother nature and diligent tank maintenance to remove the unwanted nutrients, and ammonia.
So far it seems to be working.
I have very little in undesired algae and new coralline algae growing instead. My water chemistry has been terrific.
Most of all I am enjoying myself and find it to be relaxing - like a kinetic Zen garden.
My 20G.

nm reef

Very interesting approach to reefkeeping. Lots of folks run systems skimmerless so thats not impossible.My 55 reef was skimmerless for several months and had no major problems/issues.
A couple of things I'd be cautious about are your poking/proding of the sand bed. Most believe the sand bed works best when its not disrupted...you may want to research DSB's a bit for additional info. Also the use of macro algaes in the display tend to get out of hand...personally I try to avoid macros in the display and keep them in the refugium instead.
Sounds like you've worked hard to establish your system and have definite ideas about what you want and how you want to keep it. Keep us posted on how things go....:cool:
By the way your web site is pretty decent also....:cool:

T

thomas712

Very nice, well thought out, I say good work, at least you have a plan, many don't. I never had a skimmer on my 55 just did plenty of vaccuming and water changes. I does take work, but you seem willing enough. No reason why you won't be succesful.
If you are going to use the macro's then I would personally stay away from the grape type, they can really take over a display tank.
Thomas

gobyinpeace

...I'd be cautious about are your poking/proding of the sand bed
I am only lightly raking the top 1/4" of the bed to remove any slime, film, etc..., I think this is really helping in eliminating brown algae and only takes a minute or so each day. I have discovered the antennae to be one heck-of-a useful tool.
If you are going to use the macro's then I would personally stay away from the grape type
My algae selection will probably be limited to the red macro and the green feather stuff. I will not be utilizing any type of bubble algae. I will also not be using any plants or algae that consume too much calcium. A little trimming here and there is no problem for me.
I don't consider tank maintenance to be work as all the stuff I mentioned only takes a few minutes each day and I enjoy it. WCs IMO are easier than changing diapers. I usually do most my maintenance as soon as I turn my tank lights on. My water typically clears up in about 30 min, so the tank is sparkling clean all day long. I am not allowing anything to build up on my tank glass either. I also make sure my arms and hands are clean before I place them in the tank.
Thanks both for your comments,
-Spike