Going to Disney

nw2sltfsh

Originally Posted by Cartman101
NW2SLTFSH if your fan of Hermans Hermits, my mom and her sister are BIG fans of him, then you should check out Epcot cause he will be there when you are there. Hey, you may see my mom there

Who is Hermand Hermits? and please dont tell me they are a musician of my "era" - I have no idea who they are but Who knows if it is a good show I'll check it out

zoboo2

Here's a couple of ideas: we are going to Disney in May and I have a 3 yr old and a 5 year old. Most of the bigger rides the kids will need to be either 40 or 44 inches to ride. My 5 year old is little but even he is 42 inches. My mother is taking all of us.
Buy the "MEAL PLAN" it is $38 per day for adults and I am not sure of the price for kids. This may sound like alot but trust me it is WELL worth it. Food and drink are VERY VERY expensive. The meal plan includes one snack (ie fruit or something from the vending carts), one counter service meal (fast food or lunch type place where you get a combo meal including dessert) and one sit down meal. These sit down meals include appetizer main course non alcoholic drink and dessert. You can go to nearly any of the resturants. Even the higher priced ones. These also include the "character meals" where you get to see the characters at dinner/breakfast or lunch. It is a really great value! Also pack breakfast bars and such for your AM meal this way you avoid paying for breakfast. Then you can use the bag you packed all the snacks in to carry home all the goodies you buy!

takia

Go to DIS Boards dot com........ there is a LOT of great stuff there. My family owns a travel agency, and Disney is a big thing for us. Take some time and do stuff without the kids, there is a lot of great things in Downtown Disney. Make sure you go to the living seas, it is REALLY cool!!! Also, do Expedition Everest. May be one of the best rides in the world, Rockin' Rollercoaster is cool, but be careful with Tower of Terror, can create lasting fears of elevators, believe me I now live with them!!! PM me i you need specifics. P.S. Make sure you ask now for a room close to the front!!

sparkles12

Haha..I'm gonna be there at the same time you are. (My boyfriend is taking me for my birthday)

Since you have younger kids make sure you spend an entire day at Magic Kingdom and MGM.
There are really only a few interesting things at Epcot for younger kids but the grown- ups would probably enjoy it.
Animal Kingdom really actually isn't as exiting as it sounds....there is really only so much to do there...but make sure you check out the Kali River Rapids. (It's so much fun)
Make sure you also check out the waterparks. Hope you have a great time.

jeff s.

$1000....... I sure hope thats just for the parking and such. We went for x-mas and spent nearly $10,000 on 4 of us.
Park passes are at $65 a head PER PARK. Everything is just nuts on what it costs. We did 4 parks. Disney,Epcot,Animal Kingdom and Sea World (not part of Disney, still as pricey)
We drove, so we had gas and other expenses. We spent 10 days down there and I included hotel cost, however we spent 6 nights in 1 condo, and was fairly cheap at like $90 per night.
Jeff

nw2sltfsh

Originally Posted by Jeff S.
$1000....... I sure hope thats just for the parking and such. We went for x-mas and spent nearly $10,000 on 4 of us.
Park passes are at $65 a head PER PARK. Everything is just nuts on what it costs. We did 4 parks. Disney,Epcot,Animal Kingdom and Sea World (not part of Disney, still as pricey)
We drove, so we had gas and other expenses. We spent 10 days down there and I included hotel cost, however we spent 6 nights in 1 condo, and was fairly cheap at like $90 per night.
Jeff
the Plane tickets, Hotel and Park Passes are all already paid for - this was just spending money - If it is truly 10,000 that is needed I think I need to tell my Father in Law he can keep the trip send us back to Cabo!!
My Father in Law and Step Mother in Law are paying for the trip and coming along - I think my husband and I were only asked to accompany them incase the kids got to be too much-

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Only a millionaire would spend that much money at Disney. LOL $1000 is more than enough. I have been there countless times.
And Epcot not liked by kids is an opinion. Epcot was my son's favorite park as soon as he experienced it! Around age 6 at the time.
The Animal Kingdom is awesome. Its not full of thrill rides, but it does have them, and a lot of neat fun things to do for all kids. Word of warning, though. Do not get into the river rapids ride until you are ready to return to your hotel. This is a soak and wet ride! Go on that ride last. It is great fun.

$10,000????? I figured I spent a little over $6000.00 and that was a full seven days in Orlando and Daytona. Epcot, MGM, Universal Islands, Busch Gardens, Discovery Cove with Dolphin swim for my son, 1 day deep sea fishing and Ripleys not to mention the pics that I brought back from all of the parks and we at nothing but Seafood the whole time. Had to buy a suitcase for the soveniers too. Oh and Airfair for the 3 of us and a car rental for the week.

ninjamini

Well you can spend a lot or a little its up to you. There is so much to do and even with 4-5 days in the parks you wont be able to see it all. You are also going at a bust time when its very-very hot. Did I mention that it was hot! So here is what you need to bring:
First what are the ages of the kids? If you have any under 1 year cancel the trip. If you have any that are between 2-4 or they require a nap then you will loose 2 or even 3 hours sitting and sleeping. If they are too small to ride a ride you can do parent swap where one parent goes while the other waits with the kids and then switch.
Different ages wanna do different things. Smaller kids want to walk around look.
Bigger kids want the rides. Really small kids are afraid of the characters so don't expect too many pics. Bring lots of film/memory.
All right let me do do's and don't.
DO:
-Sunscreen - unless you want to hurt on day 2. Nothing cuts a trip short like sunburn. Put it on any area that is exposed: face - ears - top of head if they have fine hair - arms - legs - back of neck and shoulders under the shirt.
-Sunglasses - yes you can burn your eyes
-Do bring a change of clothes into the park. You can get a locker at the front to change into.
Don't:
-Don't bring a video camera you wont use it.
- Don't wear nice clothes
-don't wear thin clothes that you will burn thru.
- plan to leave and come back or to switch parks. This wastes more than an hour in travel.
$$$$$
So what's it cost.
-Drinks $3-4 for a soda. You will need a lot of them. Its hot remember. Drink a lot of water. They will give you free cups of ice and there are water fountains but the drinks are expensive. Budget $70/ day in fluids. thats 4 drinks each but your milage will vary.
-Breakfast:
-Here is where to save eat in the room. However - One morning go to character dining. If you book one of the places in disney you can actually get in B4 the park opens to eat. There is nothing more magical than an empty magic kingdom and mickey waiting to see you. Take a pic of the kids on main st. with the castle in the background. Breakfast $25 adult, $18 kids. Its a hell-of-a breakfast. You wont eat lunch!
-Lunch:
You can go cheap $8-12 per person that gives you a sandwich or a slice of pizza. Don't forget that $4 soda. Lunch this way $60.
Or - Sit down and have a meal. $20-25 PP. Yea but there good.
Dinner:
Same deal as lunch only add $5 to the price in the sit down restaurant's. Dinner gives you more variety at a lot of the restaurants.
So eating is expensive! But it does not break the bank. Think of it as eating a a good restaurant every meal for a week. But on the good side some of the restaurants are great! I mean really great!
Steve's Restaurant recommendations:
EPCOT
Germany Biergarten
Norway Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
France Chef's de France
The land - Garden Grill
Mexico San Angel Inn
Magic Kingdom
There are fewer great places here is my favorite:
Liberty Tree Tavern Character Dinner
Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe for a quick lunch
Tony's Town Square
MGM:
50's Prime Time Cafe - A Must do - Get the pot roast for a filling best pot roast ever kinda experience. Real fun place to go. MMmmm pot roast...drool
ABC Commissary for a quick burger
Sci-Fi Dine-in Theatre Best mac-n-cheese I've ever had (kids meal by the way!)
But 2 of my most favorite are not even in the park:
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Boma Flavors of Africa
The Polynesian hotel Ohana
GOTO BOMA! Its a treat
Make your reservations not for where you want to eat! People book the best restaurants 2 months ahead. and Canada sells out in an hour. Its so popular you just cant get in. Its good though.
More money:
You will need spending money for hats - tee shirts - pens and all that must have mickey stuff. Don't forget presents for those who sent you. Plan on $100 per person. Yea you say no now but wait and see. you'll be shopping.
Its the happiest place on earth. Have Fun
Email me with questions: ninjagator2000@yahoo.com
Here is the insiders web site:
http://allearsnet.com/ Please don't delete its not a fish site.

judyk

Everyone forgot the afternoon showers. That's a good time to go back to the hotel for a break. Also, Central Florida kids get out of school in mid May. The kids will absolutely love the Magic Kingdom. Our grandson is 3-1/2. We give it a couple more years to take him. I can't wait.

nw2sltfsh

Originally Posted by JudyK
Everyone forgot the afternoon showers. That's a good time to go back to the hotel for a break. Also, Central Florida kids get out of school in mid May. The kids will absolutely love the Magic Kingdom. Our grandson is 3-1/2. We give it a couple more years to take him. I can't wait.
Showers as in rain - or showers as in it is so freakin hot I need to wash the sweat off

judyk

Showers as in rain. When it gets hot enough the rain will come. You can almost set your clock by it.

ninjamini

Everyone forgot the afternoon showers.

You spend all that $$$ just buy a poncho and tough it out. Its disney the happiest place on earth rain or not.

lovethesea

Showers as in rain. When it gets hot enough the rain will come. You can almost set your clock by it.

every afternoon it seems........we just tough it out on the beach (unless lightening) when they come everday. Inland its about 2pm....rides go silent for lightening on radar.
They actually are a welcome relief. :happyfish

topofsteel

I haven't read all the posts but here is my 2 cents. I have had great luck with the 'single rider' line. The ride seats 6 the last party was 4, they take 2 of you. Saved hours. Have fun.