going to do some work tommarow few Q's

55reef55

Tommarow im going to get rid of the Livesand in my tank. And going with a crushed coral type sand it looks nice in most the tanks iv seen. Why im doing this is b/c the LS gets stired up really easy with a gobi and sand sifting star and some yellow fish that lives in the sand and an enginering goby and make my water look like crap! So now for the Questions:
1)what type of water should i rinse my LR with? salt or RO?
2) Going to do a small water change at the same time, good or bad?
3)While i clean the tank im going to have the water in a trash can (bran new and cleaned) going to put fish and coral and LR in the can this ok?
4)How can i clean the water like take the sand and other things floating in the water out, is there like a strainer or anything that i can use?
5)Would all this is one day be too much stress for my fish and invertebrats?
6)well that all for now... well what advance can you guys give me?
thanks for any help or info

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would do this at all. But, if you want some courser grained sand, then just some on top of the existing sand.

nickersyaaa

Hey, good luck to ya. I just did this to my 2.5gal. Seahorse tank, I just mixed new salt water, let it run for awhile, and put the 7 dwarfs, and 4 babies back in there, and now four days down the road I see that my two males are preg. AGAIN... I did have live rock in there I left it in the old water, and mixed new with it, and then added. The life is still all there. I do love the coral A LOT better... Good Luck.... nickersyaaa@yahoo.com

mlm

I would not do it at all but if you must I would
1. use salt water to rinse LR.
2. water change is fine.
3. trash can good use a powerhead for circulation.
4. use a canister filter with lost of mech. filtration.
5. it will not be too much stress I mean think about the stress they went through to get to you.
6. Do not do it. Instead find a way to make the sand work.

55reef55

They have been in the tank for about a half year to a year... and any suggestions to make the LS work? what get ride of all the stuff that uses the sand and then get a wave maker to get the foam of the top of the water? hmm sounds like lots of work.. but any suggestions to make the sand work?