Going to rebuild new tank...need skimmer suggestions

ck_503

I have a 42 gallon hex tank that crashed back in June and I lost EVERYTHING. I still never found out what caused the levels to spike like they did as it ran for almost 2 years without incident. Anyway, I'm starting over again and last time I had one of the over hang skimmers that hung over the back of my tank. I was wondering what others thought about this and do you think I should try a different skimmer for this tank? I never had a sump. Please offer me suggestions as it's kind of tricky due to the tank size. Here is a picture of one (not mine exactly as I have a top that has hallides) just to give you an idea of what limited space I'm trying to work with. ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE GREALY APPRECIATED. Thanks much.

poop_head

well I use a sump just beacuse it moves a lot of the crap out of your main tank (so it doesnt look so cluttered) So I use an in sump model(Auqa C Urchin Pro), and I really like it. Although I've never used a HOB skimmer so I cant really give any opinnions on them.

mdog30001

Wait do u have a saltwater tank? Because in the picture there are goldfish? :notsure:
Also i have a HOB skimmer and i would rather have a regular one that sits under the stand, i think they work better.

ck_503

yes I do have a saltwater tank...or did....but I'm starting it up again. That picture is just a stock picture from a website. I'm using it to show you guys the limitations b/c it's a hexagonal tank. I just wondered if those hang on the back skimmers are just for convenience rather than performance and what would you guys suggest I do. Thanks.

thegrog

AquaC. Their HOT and in-sump skimmers are top quality for the money. Used several of their skimmers and have not regretted it once. Will never own another brand.....it least not until I have my 15,000 gallon tank stocked with sharks.......with friggin laser beams attached to their heads!!! sorry, just saw A.Powers on cable.

rainbow aq

Depends on what you want to spend Prizm skimmer is cheap and works just fine......Aqua C Remora little more expensive but its totaly worth the buy.....DO NOT BUY A SEACLONE!

ck_503

thanks....I'd love to hear more from some others have had long running skimmers that are hang on's. Thanks.

rberhow

Our tank has definitely not been long running, only 2 months, but so far we like our excalibur skimmer. Its quiet, seems to do a good job and our LFS owner that we can actually trust, swears by them.