Going topless...

osuaquarist

So I am thinking of upgrading the PC lights in my 12g nano, but the +24 or if I really try +48watts of PC lighting really wont help me out if I want to raise frog spawn and hammers will it? I will need a metal halide right? So I don't really like the idea of taking the hood off, you will be able to see into the back and a lot more evaporation will occur, but for those of you who have done it and use a pendant or clip on MH how do you like your tank after it is complete? Is it worth not upgrading the lights and saving $160 to get a 70w MH?
I want to keep frog spawn, hammers, some sick zoos, and probably an anemone since I just got my pair of clown fish.

spanko

You were okay with the PC lighting probably until you mentioned the anemone. You may of may not be able to keep an anemone depending on where it wants to sit in the tank under just PC lighting. Some have done it , others have failed. IMO it is worth getting the MH to be sure.

stonyreef

In lieu of an anemone, your clown may choose to shack up in a coral like xenia, or the hammers you want. I would definitely not get an anemone for a) a 12 gallon and b) PC lighting. Recipe for a long slow death.

osuaquarist

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2496421
You were okay with the PC lighting probably until you mentioned the anemone. You may of may not be able to keep an anemone depending on where it wants to sit in the tank under just PC lighting. Some have done it , others have failed. IMO it is worth getting the MH to be sure.
so much much PC light would be good for hammer and frogspawn?
Should I single upgrade and have 48total or really try myself (never done electrical upgrades) and go for the 72W total?

osuaquarist

Originally Posted by AtrialFib22
http:///forum/post/2497815
Have you thought about upgrading to T5s? you would have plenty to keep the hammers, zoos and most softies...
I want to but I can't find any t5's under 14" long. I need like 12" bulbs to fit in my hood

mike22cha

I would go with MH's, 70w or whatever, because you have so many options with them. I have 150w on my 10g topless and I do go through water pretty fast, but I always have 5g ready so I add any amount when needed. I love my medal halide's and highly recommend them.

nwdyr

ok it looks like nobody answered you'r question directly so... I have stock lights on my 24gal jbj , it's 72w of pc and my frogspawn and hammer is doing fine. I ask my LFS, and these MEN that work there,are very experianced and over qualified and they said they will live under those lights ok, just don't expect allot of growth. MH light's are great, and you will never go wrong up-grading you'r light's! however if you don't everything will not die!

osuaquarist

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2503689
ok it looks like nobody answered you'r question directly so... I have stock lights on my 24gal jbj , it's 72w of pc and my frogspawn and hammer is doing fine. I ask my LFS, and these MEN that work there,are very experianced and over qualified and they said they will live under those lights ok, just don't expect allot of growth. MH light's are great, and you will never go wrong up-grading you'r light's! however if you don't everything will not die!
Thanks, not quite sure what I'll do yet, gotta wait until I can get some cash