going with ls and have a ?

well I had to move from GA to TX and now i am ready to get back in to it. i had cc last time and want to go with a dsb. i have a 55gal and would like to know every thing that i will need to get before i just go out and start buying stuff. i want to do it right.
how many pounds of prepacked ls will i need to by of lsto get things running?
and how many pounds will i need of just play sand for a 55?
and what brand names can i use from wal mart, lows ect. ?
is there a certian grain size that i will need to get and color?
thanks for any help
mike

shanev

Assuming you have a standard size 55 of 48x13x20
You would need approx 110 lbs according to the garf calculator
http://www.garf.org/calculators/SandBedCalculator.asp
Of that I would recommend 80 lbs of Southdown (or Old Castle) argonite sand . You probally wont be able to find this in Texas though. I have a LFS in Houston that sells 40lbs of pure argonite for $18 since I couldnt find southdown.
I would then seed the sand with live sand but not the pre-packaged variety. You want some Live sand with a lot of critters in it. These are important for a DSB, the pre-packaged only have bacteria. If you go with the the pre-pack try to find some locals with really active sand beds and get a cup of it.
You want small grain size and color is up to you, I like white.

Thank you all for the replies.. that helped out and i think that i will start in the morning. i have to let the tank sit with water in it over night and make sure that it did not break any seals in the move. the wife made me put it on the back porch and i did not like that. but i guess i see her piont. mike