Gold Puffer is sick ! With Fin Rot and Popeye

G

gtdarock

Hey guys ! As many of you guys know about my tank diary and my gold puffer, he is not doing well since I got him. He's in bad shape ! Here are some pics, what should I do ?

bioneck47

Did you recently handle him with a net? This can cause the popeye. What are your parameters?Also is he eating? It looks like his beak is a little over grown which I'm sorry to say will def. kill him. If this is the case then unfortunately it's probably too late. Does it seem like he has problems moving his mouth?

G

gtdarock

Hey Bio ! I have him for a little over a month now. I ate about two weeks ago, he had some calms, then after that, he started to hide a lot, and stopped eating. Earlier in the week he came down with a fin rot, then a few days later, popeye. All the reading are ok in my tank, except for high nitrates - 80. I don't know what to do -? Melafix -?

aquaknight

Go with the Prazi Pro treatment like Campbell suggested. I wouldn't say the beak is past the point of no return though. Their 'beak' is comprised of basically 4 modified teeth that are fused top and bottom, but can break independently (often times this is what we refer to as 'wear down' is simply breaking his beak). If you want to search for some of slackjawed old posts, he had a puffer (forget which type) that broke one side if his top teeth.

R

rcreations

Does he have pop eye or just cloudy eye? I can't tell from your picture. Usually cloudy eye can be due to water conditions and same with fin rot. I personally think this fish was affected when you had him with the high nitrites in the QT. He needs a perfect environment to recover, with good water conditions and no stress.

G

gtdarock

Hey guys ! Thanks for all the support......but he is gone.....I lost him this morning......this is a very tough one to deal with. I just wonder if he was just sick from the beginning -? Or if there is a lesson to be learn -? One of my mistakes

R

rcreations

Sorry he died.
I think it's because of being in high nitrites for those 2 days. I remember reading that being exposed to high nitrites for a long time can cause permanent internal damage.

prime311

I highly doubt 80 nitrates for 2 days will cause any fish harm. I'm not even sure 80 nitrates for 2 years would cause any harm. More likely there was a prexisting problem or some other stressful condition.

G

gtdarock

Thanks guys......... I'm working hard to get the Nitrates down. I thought with a DSB in the refugium, I am good -? Just thinking about it.........I don't think puffers do well at all with high nitrates

R

rcreations

Originally Posted by prime311
http:///forum/post/3085447
I highly doubt 80 nitrates for 2 days will cause any fish harm. I'm not even sure 80 nitrates for 2 years would cause any harm. More likely there was a prexisting problem or some other stressful condition.
No, not nitrates. He had high nitri
tes in his qt for a few days.