Goniopra is being eaten by a tang

cydab

Can any one tell me why my sailfin is snaking on my Green Goniopora on a daily basis he ate about a third of it alraedy i saw him do it. any advice of how to stop it from happening.

alh

I'm sorry I don't have any good advice. You may have to decide which one you want more.

stanlalee

yep its not common but tangs or alot of reef fish arent beyond the occasional or rare individual that finds out certain corals are tasty. I think a few strides in available feeding products for goniopora have been made in keeping them more successfully (it doesn't help there are about 20 different species that all have different feeding characteristics) but I agree at this point its still much more likely the flowerpot wont be around next year. the only problem with keeping the tang is I wouldn't want a tang that likes eating ANY corals. who's to say it might not find more corals appetizing. I'd trade the tang for another specimen although I wouldn't expect the goniopora to make it long term either.

drtito

I bury my goniopora in the sand and let the flow uncover it. It might help stop the tang and maybe save your goniopora.MAYBE. good luck