good chiller

harley1965

hi all i am looking for advice on a good chiller that won't break the bank for my reef i have a fourty breeder right now my temp is about 85 i no not good so i need help soon thanks all

sign guy

I have current chillers but I bought them at a fire sell and dont use them. imo try and cool the tank other ways before droping $400 bucks on a chiller. what kind of lights do you use and how far is your lights from your tank. what kind of filtration do you use and what is your house temp?

harley1965

thanks for the help i have 2 150 mh i run a canister filter the lights are about 6 inches from the top room temp got up to about 82 yesterday

scsinet

Good chillers break the bank, I'm afraid to say.
JBJ and Aqua-Logic are both great machines, but both are pricey (the JBJ a bit less so).

sign guy

Originally Posted by harley1965
http:///forum/post/3074163
thanks for the help i have 2 150 mh i run a canister filter the lights are about 6 inches from the top room temp got up to about 82 yesterday
well your filtration is not adding much heat but your room temp and lights are killing you. id got a fan to blow accros the lights and top of the water and see if the temp drops enough, if so then you can work towards a more perminant and less noticeble fan system. if not then you might have to start setting aside for the chiller

harley1965

okay thanks for the help all what size of a chiller would you recommend i seem them at 1/15 horse on up the 1/15 horse says upto 50 gallons mine is a 40

scsinet

I'd use a 1/5 on a 40.
If you ever plan to upgrade tanks, then you may consider going as high as 1/4, but I'm not sure I'd go much higher. It's far cheaper now to spend a bit more to get a chiller large enough to handle an upgrade than to buy a whole new one down the road.
Go too big though and you won't be able to meet the minimum flow requirements, so 1/4 is the max I'd go.