Good deal???

puffrbware

I bought a 125 gallon tank which includes a hood, wooden canopy, 2 802 powerheads, a wetdry filter with overflow suitable for that sized tank, suitable protien skimmer, 60lbs of live sand,some test kits and a few other small things--NO LIVE ROCK. I paid a total of $1,650 with the instalation from the lfs. Is this a good deal??? i was just wondering if i could have gotten it for cheaper on my own peace-by-peace, exspetially for future upgrades.

liontamer

Yea man, my 120 gallon with tank, stand, lights, 75 pounds rock, sand, ph's (2) filtration (with wetdry, skimmer, uvsterilizer), titanium heater ($50) and the the return pump came to about $900 in total, I paid $300 for the tank and stand, brand new. Lights are power compact, 2 65, got for $80 brand new w/ bulbs. Stand is iron, but I am going to build wood around it eventually, just to please the parents.:rolleyes:

liontamer

its 4 feet long, 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall, which makes it a 120. They are not long tanks, more like a boxier setup, which is great for rees to work with the rockwork, but even better, imo, for lions, cuz lions really dont need swimming room as much as they need chilling out room

mr.smiley

Lets see.....150gal with lights,hood,stand(oak),canopy,salt,sand.
All for $1950!:scared: Thats a big price for a 150 compo. For your tank,i would say you got riped off.

kb68

all you guys have to remeber where you live to matters on the price of things that you'll pay I live in the Boston area and I just got a 125 with everything for a little over $3000 and believe me I did the research!
So to me that price is amazing!
No matter what, someone always gets a better deal on something that you just bought, Murphy's law!

alison

:happyfish Hi, I buy my setups used and get great deals, but just yesterday I saw a 90 bow with hood and everything not lights just the setup, with oak hood, and stand for around 1700$. on sale at my local lfs, so it depends on the quality of the hood and stand really. Those 2 items are the big ticket. Some people I won't mention say they paid less because they don't have nice stands and hoods, which in my opinion make a tank, because then you don't see all the wires, and it looks finished. So brand new, I would say you did get a good deal if it's with the oak or cherriewood stand and hood. So don't mind everyone else, ali :happyfish

mytank

geez, my LFS has a 125 gallon set up with everything, heaters, filters, protien skimmer, lights for reef, fish and everything for a reef set up for $999 maybe my hubby and I should jump on it. He wants to make a wall unit out of it.

sw65galma

Originally posted by kb68
all you guys have to remeber where you live to matters on the price of things that you'll pay I live in the Boston area and I just got a 125 with everything for a little over $3000 and believe me I did the research!
So to me that price is amazing!
No matter what, someone always gets a better deal on something that you just bought, Murphy's law!

I live near boston and work in Boston.
Where did ya go?
The best thing to do is look for used things, either here or there is a place in central ma that sells used things.
I got a $200+ Eheim Pro II for like $80.00 on here, from someone in Qunicy.
Same with Lights.
I got a Whole 46Gal Corner tank and stand, with Emporer 400, Fluval 304, Heater, PC Lights, Live Sand, 50lbs of LR, 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Six line wrasse, Anenome, Some polys for $100.00! From looking on here in Attelborough
I got my whole 300gallons setup, tank, Stand, VHO Lights, 40 Gal Wetdry w/Iwaki pump, UV light, Skimmer, 700Lbs of LS, 500lbs of LR for $1500.00
I just picked up a 180 Full setup for $500.00 I have no place for it, but it was a steal!

sw65galma

Originally posted by PuffrBware
I bought a 125 gallon tank which includes a hood, wooden canopy, 2 802 powerheads, a wetdry filter with overflow suitable for that sized tank, suitable protien skimmer, 60lbs of live sand,some test kits and a few other small things--NO LIVE ROCK. I paid a total of $1,650 with the instalation from the lfs. Is this a good deal??? i was just wondering if i could have gotten it for cheaper on my own peace-by-peace, exspetially for future upgrades.

Oh and that's not a bad deal at all no matter what anyone else says. Sure you may have been able to do A little better...here's how I see it.
Tank and stand, is like $600-$800.00
Wetdry $200-300
Skimmer $200-400
60lbs of LS @ avg $2/lb = $120
Not having to lug a tank around = Priceless!!!

buy used if you can, we got our 150g setup for $400 with 150g glass tank, stand, hood, PH's, sump w/ return pump and plumbing, duel 400w MH ballasts w/ spider flectors and bulbs, single 175w MH setup, and duel 4' NO 20k setup. it would have cost us more then 2k for that setup brand new.

kb68

Hi Sw54galma
We are from Waltham and we got out tank from tropic Isle in framingham, If your from MA. I'm sure you have been there.
We really like the people there alot and became pretty close to one of them. Yeah I'm sure the price is pretty high but we didn't skimp on one thing.
Check out my pictures under the new hobbysist forum!
As far as buying used.......... no lemon law!

sw65galma

Hi Sw54galma
We are from Waltham and we got out tank from tropic Isle in framingham, If your from MA. I'm sure you have been there.
We really like the people there alot and became pretty close to one of them. Yeah I'm sure the price is pretty high but we didn't skimp on one thing.
Check out my pictures under the new hobbysist forum!
As far as buying used.......... no lemon law!

*looks at the tons of reciepts*
Yup I know them well.
They are the most Knowledgable LFS IMO around. A bit pricey, but the knowledge is worth it.
I'm there every weekend just about :)

kb68

SW65Galma
Every weekend? It seems like we have been there every night!
Yeah, you are right, they are a bit pricey but the knowledge and the attention that they give to us is priceless. We walk in and one of them doesn't leave our side until we walk out the door.
It might be the low cut shirt or the fact that we have spent over $5000.00 in the past 2 months but they are always giving us something for nothing!
We deal with Chris, he is great! and Leo is great for talking to about Water Parameters.
I'm sure that we have crossed paths one time or another in that store.

sw65galma

SW65Galma
It might be the low cut shirt or the fact that we have spent over $5000.00 in the past 2 months but they are always giving us something for nothing!

Well both help I'm sure

[
We deal with Chris, he is great! and Leo is great for talking to about Water Parameters.
I'm sure that we have crossed paths one time or another in that store. [/B]
Yes chris is great, Leo is also excellent.
I also had the pleasure of talking with Mr. London one time, that was just so inspiring.
I'm sure we've crossed paths...
We should meet up and swap sand. I'd like to set up like a Mass Get together for sand swapping. And do it like Monthly or Bi-Monthly..